Poll: Should Andrew Scheer call a non-confidence vote?

Should Andrew Scheer call a non-confidence vote?

You may select 1 option

View results

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Poll: Should Andrew Scheer call a non-confidence vote?

Post by Connie Fournier »

Yesterday, Prime Minister Trudeau extended the CERB cash giveaway for another three months.

I believe that he is going to get people hooked on the free cash, then pull the pin on an election in the early Fall with the promise of a Universal Basic Income. This would be an ideal time for him because the CPC will have a brand new leader, and millions of Canadians will have been living for the past half a year with a dependable government "wage" landing in their bank accounts every month for watching Netflix.

Given this possibility, and because PM Trudeau is clearly abusing his emergency powers by unilaterally banning guns and refusing to have regular Parliamentary sessions, I think it is clear that Andrew Scheer needs to call a vote of non-confidence now.

Some have said that he can't win. Fair enough. There is an excellent chance that the other opposition parties will vote to support this government. But, there is also a chance that they won't.

Worst case, calling this vote will send a strong message to Canadians that the CPC is doing their job OPPOSING what many Canadians see as a horrendous abuse of power. Best case, they could win, and pull the rug out from under Trudeau's plan for an almost certain majority in the Fall.

Just do it!
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Should Andrew Scheer call a non-confidence vote?

Nobody has vote 'no' so far.

I know this is a tiny sample, but what is the downside? Yeah, they could lose the vote. But, so what? Do you want to be perceived as the guy who went down fighting, or this guy?

atlas.jpg
atlas.jpg (14.33 KiB) Viewed 963 times
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

I voted yes although I would imagine he won't mainly because there is no point unless he can find 30 or so Liberal MPs to vote with him, or abstain (at some later time when everyone is attending parliament). There is not likely to be any issue where he can get NDP or Bloc MPs to support such a motion.

The way these things normally work in a minority parliament, the government sets up its own downfall on an issue they select as voter-bait, and it would have to be something that either the Bloc or the NDP would oppose but also the Conservatives, and on a matter of sufficient importance to be non-confidence.

That might be some budgetary item or an environmental program that goes too far for the CPC and not far enough for the NDP. I would look for that whenever the Liberals want to roll the dice to see if they can get a majority back before whoever wins the CPC leadership has time to organize, so maybe around September-October.

Yes Scheer should do whatever he can to oppose this government, but it appears to be very little with one hand tied behind his back.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I totally understand that Scheer might not win the vote, but the CPC has to actually do something to oppose this, because it is their job.

Also, I don't see it as a given that the NDP and Bloc would prop up the government. The NDP might see this crisis as a great opportunity to try to push their policies and win more seats. They want a Universal Basic Income, and Trudeau hasn't promised that...yet. Quebec has been hit hard by this pandemic, so the Bloc might see an opportunity to highlight the federal government's bungling of their response.

I don't know. I fully admit that it would be a coin toss. But, it is better than the alternative. If the CPC waits until Trudeau gets everyone hooked on that sweet, sweet cash, we are all screwed.

We have seen what he can do to us with a Minority government. Now, imagine if he had a Majority. :|

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

The NDP don't want a quick election, they are dead broke. The Bloc don't want an election, they figure they are holding as many seats as possible right now. And there are no Liberal backbenchers openly critical of Trudeau. If the CPC got word of some rebellion in caucus, maybe they would give this a try. As you say, they probably should do it just for the principle involved, but could they word it in such a way as to gain our confidence? The problem for the CPC is that they are riding a tiger of western discontent in general, whatever they do has to appease growing sentiment for western independence. Losing a non confidence vote sends another message to the wexit people, you can't win within the system. That might be a factor in their decision making. Anyway, there's bound to be an election within 18 months, I feel, and frankly I would rather wait 18 months than go right away and lose.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Also as you know the PPC are ill-prepared for a snap election. The only chance the PPC has, realistically, is to formulate a campaign strategy that would take considerable preparation and fund raising. There again, 18 months seems more friendly to that cause than 3-6 months would. I think Trudeau's opponents are going to figure he might need a bit more time to dig a hole big enough that he can't get out. The people will get increasingly restless especially when financial constraints rein in these automatic big spending bailouts. By October there won't be any more money left for bailouts and people will be told to make sacrifices (just watch, the pensions will be reduced by 5% then 10% etc etc). Trudeau is riding high in public opinion now and may be quite low by winter 2020-21. I think all things considered we can do better by waiting this out, we had very limited civil liberties anyway so this is just more of a demonstration of that unpleasant fact than anything new (personally I feel like I've been under lockdown since about 1979).

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

But I do think the CPC should be making a more emphatic defence of liberties, in particular freedom of worship and the rights to own weapons. If they can build a case for a non-confidence vote on those principles, I would say go for it, losing would not hurt them in whatever election might follow (eventually). There's no wrong thing for them to do at this point except for bland acceptance and approval of the government's approach, just in sheer political terms that would be foolish even if they felt that way because the average voter would say, well the main opposition agrees, that makes me think the government is absolutely right. Being too hostile at this point might also have political risks. It's a bit of a tightrope but when the leader is lame duck and nobody knows who will emerge as new leader, hard to call the right shots at this point (to give that new leader the platform that they might wish). Of course it would be better for the platform to determine the leader, but that's not how they think inside the caucus room.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

The problem is that we have a window of opportunity now that I think is closing quickly. I am afraid that if they let this play out and Trudeau calls an election of a UBI, that will be the end of Canada, as we know it.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

UBI would suck in a lot of voters, who might not realize that their free bucks will soon be worth about 25 cents once everyone has them and nobody is producing anything. So then they will raid pension plans and raise income taxes. Pretty soon the whole thing would collapse in a heap. You would think Morneau would realize that, I don't think the entire Liberal Party would necessarily support that concept. Sounds like a Dipper concept to me. Let's take imaginary money from "the banks" and give it to everyone. Then if we run out we'll print more.

Wilderness Voice

Post by Wilderness Voice »

.....and don't forget that we no longer deposit our paychecks to have the bank HOLD our money for us. The minute that your deposit hits the bank ? It is their money because you just LOANED the bank your paycheck. We are unsecured creditors .

Wilderness Voice

Post by Wilderness Voice »

Yes to the non-confidence vote. If it fails there is a act that you took to help the people of Canada.
Don't worry. Israel had three elections in less than twelve months