Poll: Do you think the US/Canada border should remain closed?

Should the US/Canada border remain closed?

You may select 1 option

View results

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Poll: Do you think the US/Canada border should remain closed?

Post by Connie Fournier »

A recent poll said that 83% of Canadians think the US border should remain closed. I think it should be open. I don't think there is a danger anymore, and I don't like being trapped here.

What do you think?

flags.jpg
flags.jpg (33.29 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

PeterODonnell

Re: Poll: Do you think the US/Canada border should remain closed?

Post by PeterODonnell »

I would like to see it opened up also, but the reality is they will probably wait until they test the re-opening of our local economies on both sides and if there aren't large spikes of new cases, they will probably open the borders maybe around the first of July or so. There are a lot of separated family situations. An elderly friend of ours passed away in April, in New Denver where we lived for a couple of years. Her family are all Americans (so was she originally) and they can't even come up to deal with the house and the estate issues. There will be thousands of things like that all creating pressure on governments to open the borders.

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Part of me didn't care as with the dollar the way it is I can't afford to travel to the USA. But my wife's step father died and the funeral has been put off and put off and her mother really wants to have it this summer.

intrepi

Post by intrepi »

I think it should remain closed to all the newly minted American visitors who take taxis to the Justin'e welcome door at our border.

Let's do something about homeless Canadians eh!
Yeshua is near

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

They want to keep it closed so that we can't leave, and legal Americans can't visit. That doesn't sit right with me.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

All the tourist hotspots in AB and BC whose economy is 80-90% tourist driven need the border opened. Many places that will survived to this point will no longer do so without US bucks. No Chinese tourists this year but that is a blessing. Rudest bunch of visitors I have ever come across, and those businesses who pander to them.
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Speaking personally and selfishly, I have some family that I'd like to visit, and so I want the border open.

In general, Canada is way too integrated into the US economy to remain economically viable without an open border to the USA. It will have to open up eventually, I'm not sure when though. I assume some time in the next few months.
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA. Disaffected progressive, here for interesting conversations.

Free Markets

Post by Free Markets »

DA_Champion wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:32 pm Speaking personally and selfishly, I have some family that I'd like to visit, and so I want the border open.
As a family member of Canadian citizens, you are entitled to fly into the country at one of the four open airports (Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver). There are quite a few exceptions to the travel ban when using an airline.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Free Markets wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:40 pm
DA_Champion wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:32 pm Speaking personally and selfishly, I have some family that I'd like to visit, and so I want the border open.
As a family member of Canadian citizens, you are entitled to fly into the country at one of the four open airports (Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver). There are quite a few exceptions to the travel ban when using an airline.
Thanks, but I might then have a hard time coming back.

A friend's friend who went to Canada to visit family is now banned from entering the USA. They've been working here for over a decade, but they might lose their residency status if this keeps up.
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA. Disaffected progressive, here for interesting conversations.

kinarow

Post by kinarow »

I think the US/Canada border should be open .... but the US/Mexico border should be closed .... PERMANENTLY!

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

kinarow wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am I think the US/Canada border should be open .... but the US/Mexico border should be closed .... PERMANENTLY!

Do you think the wall will help?

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

We're seeing dramatic new case spikes across the USA with the opening free-for-all and now it's a long weekend. They are on their way to another lockdown with their heads in the sand out of greedy ignorance.

I'm being lambasted elsewhere for my views on Calgary joining Edmonton in Phase 1.

Current cases: Edmonton - 61; Calgary - 744. Total deaths to date: Edmonton - 12; Calgary - 96.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Yeah, Duane, it's really hard to know where the balance lies, a full-scale opening will certainly raise infection rates, I am not so sure it will raise death tolls as dramatically, as a healthier and younger demographic may be exposed to what Sweden already determined would work for them (and the jury is somewhat still out on that variation).

I don't see how we can avoid a second spike without economic collapse. This is the horrible dilemma being faced by governments, which is worse, a 1% death rate or a 40% unemployment rate? That will lead to much worse consequences than poverty alone (which is bad enough).

Hopefully a better cure situation will soon arise, I would rather see that than a vaccine solution. Who knows what else will come with this vaccine? And as for the cell phone apps that governments are so keen to sell us, I am not at all convinced that we won't get these returning to haunt us in future years in much different circumstances (as in, did citizen 250892315 just fill up his gas tank again? that's the second time this year).

I hope China pays for all this misery and disruption.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I want the border to open because it makes me very, very uncomfortable to be locked in my country. They've locked us in, they are taking our guns. What is next? I have read enough history to know that the stories that have begun this way have ended badly.

It isn't, "Give me liberty of give me death...unless there is a pandemic."

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

They can TRY to take our guns.....

Give me liberty or I'll give y'all death..........hmmm, that has a nice ring to it :D :ymcowboy:

Going to be a cruel cruel summer if they try to lock me in at my home.........

Shoot who am I kidding..... probably going to get thwacked with something or other during one of my many upcoming hospital/clinic visits before I get the opportunity to do anything anyway 8-} 3:-O
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.