Poll: Do you think CERB will become a Universal Basic Income?

Do you think CERB will become a Universal Basic Income?

You may select 1 option

View results

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Poll: Do you think CERB will become a Universal Basic Income?

Post by Connie Fournier »

PM Trudeau is being pretty evasive about the future of CERB these days. Who thinks it is going to be rebranded as a UBI?
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Ratz.ca

Re: Poll: Do you think CERB will become a Universal Basic Income?

Post by Ratz.ca »

If Trudeau has his way, he'd buy all the votes he could.

John Feldsted

Post by John Feldsted »

The Dippers will be all over it like a starving dog on a ham bone.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Ratz.ca wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:22 am If Trudeau has his way, he'd buy all the votes he could.
This is my prediction. I expect an election call in September.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

WestViking wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:56 am The Dippers will be all over it like a starving dog on a ham bone.
Yep.

I'm trying to figure out the angle behind the big debate about jailing CERB fraudsters.

I don't agree with it because I feel like the government dangling it in front of desperate people like a sweet carrot, then instructing their staff to send it to people who clearly don't qualify was a form of entrapment. I just haven't clearly figured out the "why" of it. Unless it is to increase support for making is a UBI.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Connie Fournier wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:20 pm
Ratz.ca wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:22 am If Trudeau has his way, he'd buy all the votes he could.
This is my prediction. I expect an election call in September.
Make sense to me. Call the elction right after Labour Day for an election day in mid October. Trudeau will want the election to happen before a second wave of COVID. The virus could gain momentum as the weather gets colder in late September but the effects won't be fully felt for a month. We won't know for certain if we're in a second wave before the end of October.

John Feldsted

Post by John Feldsted »

Trudeau has an unerring (and eerie) ability to shoot himself in the foot. The WE.org scandal and ethics investigation (the fourth) will not it well during an election. Investigations of the SNC-Lavalin and Vice-Admiral Norman scandals were blocked by the Justice Committee when the liberals had a majority. Those investigation can be resurrected and the opposition has the majority now. No wonder Trudeau does not want parliament to sit. The blocked scandals make for more good election fodder.

Parliament is not due to sit until September 21, so even if Trudeau was to call an election on September 27th, an election could not be held until November 2nd. The Elections Act requires a 35 day election period.