A new type of religion

Forum for the discussion of the Feldsted Friends newsletter.
WestViking

A new type of religion

Post by WestViking »

Britain is in the grip of a frightening new kind of religion that demands moral purity and permits no dissent
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... igion.html

Britain is not alone confronting a new breed of morally pure zealots determined to erase evidence of history they deem uncomfortable. Their mantra is that they cannot tolerate discrimination, even if it took place decades or even centuries ago and they demand that everyone else change without excuses or procrastination.

Minorities have legitimate reasons to protest discrimination and insist on changes. Layers of secret discrimination underlie the beatings, bullying, hazing and murders that must not be tolerated. Roots of discrimination go well beyond race or colour. Discrimination is irrational, based on a person being perceived as ‘different’ or ‘defective’ and thus a target for demeaning, disparaging and worse.

Minorities refuse to accept that they are part of the problem. These moralists are modern versions of Seth Pecksniff , pointing the way to high moral standards without adopting and employing them. They are as useful as directional sign posts and equally intelligent. Every race has a history of slavery and discrimination. Tribes enslaved survivors of wars, captured slaves from other tribes, and owned, bought and sold slaves as chattels.

Solutions require forgiveness, patience, tolerance and respect from all of us. Solutions will not come from shaming, tearing down statues, renaming buildings and streets, or rioting. Venting pent-up anger is understandable. Advocating change is reasonable. Dismantling historical markers and advocating replacement of order with chaos is not. We need to look back at where we once were, how far we have come and recognize that we have to redouble efforts to make our society inclusive and equal in terms of opportunity for every person.

We do not hear about the tens of thousands of minority members who have succeeded. They have overcome discrimination and could be wise advocates and mentors of those seeking changes from governments and the general population. They have walked the walk and know the pitfalls and subtleties of discrimination. They can be invaluable in mapping out a framework for policies that will encourage and foster change.

We cannot eliminate discrimination without the full participation of everyone, including the victims of discrimination. At the start, nothing will satisfy activists. Every race and tribe and every strata within those bodies has people undeserving of respect. Their attitudes and behaviours are not acceptable to their peers or anyone else. These “bad apples” are not representative of their group and we must not use them as stereotypes.

We must start with rectifying the most conspicuous examples of discrimination, eliminate those and keep working to eliminate other types of discrimination until we achieve a discrimination free society.

Every person has the right to conduct his or her affairs without fear of being bullied, denied services, or denied equal opportunities of acceptance, employment, earnings and promotions. Equal opportunities do not result in equal outcomes; outcomes vary in accordance with individual effort. We have to level the playing field and ensure that every person has equal opportunities to grow and thrive.

Equality of opportunity free from discrimination must be our goal. That will require an concerted effort by everyone. We cannot chose any group as being responsible for discrimination or give any group a free pass. That is like putting a patch on a hole in a boat bottom that has been machine gunned. If we want to rebuild a society in danger of civil war, we have to take a more reasoned and effective approach and solicit help from everyone.

We face a common problem. Discrimination is insidious and those least vulnerable today may be tomorrow’s victims. Our failure to live together peacefully and respectfully is a far greater risk to our future as a nation than any virus or war. Our society is dying from a thousand acts of discrimination each day. Discrimination fracturs us into warring enclaves rather than engaging us collectively to improve our quality of life and standard of living.

People caught in acts of discrimination need education, not censure. Censure creates resentment while education creates enlightenment. We have failed to address discrimination. It is not a topic of conversation, discussion or debate. Until it is, we are guilty of avoiding a commitment to creating a truly inclusive and equal society of peers.

Ursus

Re: A new type of religion

Post by Ursus »

A mutated form of godless Puritanism.
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Post by Connie Fournier »

Good article, WestViking.

I feel like our overlords like it more when we are fighting with each other.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Progressives are the modern Pharisees, they proclaim a moral perfection of which they are both examples and guardians.

Conveniently, they don't have to practice what they preach in most cases. It's all well and good to call for racial equality in a society where very few people are against the concept or actively working against it. If through millions of quasi-random interactions, one race perceives it has fallen behind in some measurable way, they can count on progressives (mostly white liberals) to proclaim that it is our fault and we should fix it and pay reparations.

I won't bother to catalogue the many obvious reasons hiding in plain sight why some races might feel they are losing the contest. Did I go around to their homes and encourage substance abuse, family breakdown, a violent fixation on illegal activity? No. I was minding my own business trying to get something out of my own difficult circumstances. When I fall a bit behind some perceived path to fulfilment, do I go around looking for races or groups to blame? If I do, I waste my time. As a white man, nobody's going to believe me anyway. But I don't look at my life in those terms and feel that God has given me opportunities and chances, whether I made the most of them or not I can't say, probably not but sometimes yes.

So I don't believe in this new religion of blame whitey, it is really just a set of lame excuses for failures that have a much different and perhaps reasonably obvious cause. When you state that cause (or set of causes), the response is inevitably "you are a racist and need to be re-educated." So I keep it to myself.

As for white privilege, Bob May, Rocco Mediate, Chris de Marco and a whole bunch of other white guys who play pro golf and lost to Tiger Woods in showdowns must be wondering where they went wrong. And Tiger must be wondering where he went right, after all, he faced this huge mountain of obstacles or so the narrative goes. Yeah right.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Large swaths of SJWism and progressivism are effectively transforming into a catechism. That's an argument that I first saw made in the American Conservative, by Rod Dreher I think. I think ... It's correct.

This probably says a lot about human nature. Perhaps by getting rid of religion, we inevitably end up converging to a different religion, even an invented one.
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA.

Winston.J.S.Smith

Post by Winston.J.S.Smith »

DA_Champion wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:11 am
Large swaths of SJWism and progressivism are effectively transforming into a catechism. That's an argument that I first saw made in the American Conservative, by Rod Dreher I think. I think ... It's correct.

This probably says a lot about human nature. Perhaps by getting rid of religion, we inevitably end up converging to a different religion, even an invented one.
Couldn't agree more. " You gotta serve somebody"

Bob Dylan Lyrics
"Gotta Serve Somebody"

You may be an ambassador to England or France
You may like to gamble, you might like to dance
You may be the heavyweight champion of the world
You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to serve somebody
It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody

Might be a rock'n' roll addict prancing on the stage
Might have money and drugs at your commands, women in a cage
You may be a business man or some high degree thief
They may call you Doctor or they may call you Chief

Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord

You may be a state trooper, you might be an young turk
You may be the head of some big TV network
You may be rich or poor, you may be blind or lame
You may be living in another country under another name

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes

You may be a construction worker working on a home
You may be living in a mansion or you might live in a dome
You might own guns and you might even own tanks
You might be somebody's landlord you might even own banks

You may be a preacher with your spiritual pride
You may be a city councilman taking bribes on the side
You may be working in a barbershop, you may know how to cut hair
You may be somebody's mistress, may be somebody's heir

Might like to wear cotton, might like to wear silk
Might like to drink whiskey, might like to drink milk
You might like to eat caviar, you might like to eat bread
You may be sleeping on the floor, sleeping in a king-sized bed

It may be the devil or it may be the Lord

You may call me Terry, you may call me Jimmy
You may call me Bobby, you may call me Zimmy
You may call me R.J., you may call me Ray
You may call me anything but no matter what you say

You're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed

LittleBear

Post by LittleBear »

Obviously, written by an old snowflake.
Nobody is arresting Rowling...she's getting grassroots opinions online.
HUMANITY HAS NOT CHANGED!!
THE OPINIONS OF THE UNWASHED MASSES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FULL OF OPPOSITION, VITRIOL AND CONDESCENSION.
Twitter is a huge pub - there is no music and your can "hear" every conversation.
The only thing that has changed is that we (and the media) can now access an entire catalog of millions of those unwashed opinions - with each given almost equal weight. That's it.
And yes, the unwashed masses have always had opinions on "royalty".

Free Markets

Post by Free Markets »

Environmentalism became a religion some time ago. Will be interesting to see if the religions of wokeness and environmentalism clash.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Free Markets wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:38 pm
Environmentalism became a religion some time ago. Will be interesting to see if the religions of wokeness and environmentalism clash.
When the wokeness religion collided with the COVID religion, wokeness won that battle pretty handilly.

I suspect it will be the same if wokeness and environementalism ever come to clash. It's easy to call yourself an environementalist to give yoursel a good conscience.. but it's not so easy when you actually have to pay a price.

Plus, enviromentalism is about a distant threat. COVID is an immediate threat and it stlll didn't stand a chance against wokeness.

Free Markets

Post by Free Markets »

Free Markets wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:38 pm
When the wokeness religion collided with the COVID religion, wokeness won that battle pretty handilly.

I suspect it will be the same if wokeness and environementalism ever come to clash. It's easy to call yourself an environementalist to give yoursel a good conscience.. but it's not so easy when you actually have to pay a price.

Plus, enviromentalism is about a distant threat. COVID is an immediate threat and it stlll didn't stand a chance against wokeness.
Good points.