University of Chicago Declares English Language as Racist

Forum for the discussion of the Feldsted Friends newsletter.
John Feldsted

University of Chicago Declares English Language as Racist

Post by John Feldsted »

Informed American
September 16, 2020

Who knew that our language is racist?

The University of Chicago, which issued a statement in 2015 supporting the freedom of expression, now thinks the English language is racist, and won’t admit graduate students in the English Department unless they pursue work in Black Studies.

The department wrote on its website:
Note: For the 2020-2021 graduate admissions cycle, the University of Chicago English Department is accepting only applicants interested in working in and with Black Studies. We understand Black Studies to be a capacious intellectual project that spans a variety of methodological approaches, fields, geographical areas, languages and time periods.
Also on its website, the department noted:

English as a discipline has a long history of providing aesthetic rationalizations for colonization, exploitation, extraction and anti-Blackness. Our discipline is responsible for developing hierarchies of cultural production that have contributed directly to social and systemic determinations of whose lives matter and why… In light of this historical reality, we believe that undoing persistent, recalcitrant anti-Blackness in our discipline and in our institutions must be the collective responsibility of all faculty, here and elsewhere.

So there you have it. The University of Chicago is countering what it sees as historical racism in the most common language in the Western world by using… racism.
https://www.informedamerican.com/univer ... as-racist/

Sadly, our universities have transformed from institutions of higher learning into putrid cesspools of leftist political activism financially supported by long-suffering taxpayers.

In place of respectful discussion and debate of concepts, ideas, and accepted principles as part of an education process, universities stifle free expression of beliefs, concepts, theories and ethics.

The media invariably turns to university professors for expert opinion on any topic in the current news cycle, knowing that the information provided will politically biased. A cloistered and tenured university professor has minimal contact with the real world and will not suffer from bad advice or poor judgement. Their advice and observations are suspect.

They are examples of where our universities have gone wrong. They are not capable of self-examination or of critical examination of the institutions they serve.

How did we stray so far from the seven principles articulated by Oxford University? https://review.sbs.ox.ac.uk/The-7-key-p ... unity.html

It is impossible to justify public support for institutions whose primary goal is the dumbing down of those unfortunate enough to enroll.

Instead of producing people with superior skills to analyze and interpret an increasingly complex society and world, universities create drones stuffed with preconceived concepts that they consider indisputable. The people who should lead the way in developing solutions to our complex political, scientific and social problems are part of the problem.

Some individuals survive the indoctrination efforts and graduate without the prejudices their mentors have tried to instill. They should not have to resist the pressures of professors to conform. The should have been honing their skills in freewheeling discussion and debate of issues.

Political activism is destroying our universities. Over the past three decades, universities and the degrees they offer have become less and less relevant. A corporation that will not hire people without a university degree is not looking for superior intellect; it seeks employees conditioned to accept whatever policies and principles the corporation adopts. Analysts, critical and forward thinkers are not welcome.

On the surface, there is fierce competition between universities for enrollment, but it is an illusion. Most have sold out to attracting international students who pay substantially higher tuition than those from Canada. With public subsidies, they have no incentive to get back to the basics and produce superior graduates.

China sends thousands of students to Canadian universities, not because we have superior institutions, but because they condition graduates for life in a communist dictatorship. That is a frightening omen for our future.

The cure is to stop public funding of universities. If they can’t survive as independent organizations, they deserve to die. We are not getting our money’s worth, so stop the bleeding. The political activists embedded in our universities can run for office or become politically neutral. Those are their options.

Free Markets

Re: University of Chicago Declares English Language as Racist

Post by Free Markets »

Sad to see this happening at the university of Milton Friedman.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Edmonton evidently feels the same way under His Excellency Comrade Mayor Iveson (who naturally has a politically correct cross-racial marriage). I understand I now live in tastawiyiniwak (ᑕᐢᑕᐃᐧᔨᓂᐊᐧᐠ),which was previously Wade 3. This name, rounding out will have about ZERO connection or meaning to anyone living here. I suppose I should be thankful I don't live in Wade 10.

https://www.facebook.com/MikeNickelYEG/ ... =3&theater

The coming backlash to this madness around the continent is going to be ugly.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

The coming backlash to this madness around the continent is going to be ugly.
Indeed, but this insanity must be ended. War is coming......

On the municipal level, I personally refuse to accept all these name changes of streets, buildings et al.

It is the St Albert Trail and nothing else. Capilano Drive (or crappy lane-oh!)

If Winston Churchill gets the boot, then that area near the Kremlin pyramid can be called Colonoscopy Square.
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Yes, my own first term councilor Jon Dziadyk here in tastawiyiniwak (ᑕᐢᑕᐃᐧᔨᓂᐊᐧᐠ)(say that fast five times), entered a motion that the existing number accompany the newfangled nonsense. He pointed out there are many seniors here on the lake (including my 55+ building where I'm the youngest by far) who only know it as Ward 3. His motion was defeated 11-2 according to his return email to me yesterday.

I once personally saw Councilor Dziadyk spring to action at Chicago Joe's Pizza on Beaumaris Road (no doubt soon to be renamed tastawiyiniwak (ᑕᐢᑕᐃᐧᔨᓂᐊᐧᐠ) road and help bus tables when they were in a jam (pre covid). His leadership led to a couple other patrons leaping up to help him.

Side note: On the contact city page, all council members pages contain a personal email and direct office line. His Excellency Comrade Mayor Iveson's page displays the city 311 info number and no email. It seems he doesn't want to be in touch with the people.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi