Steyn on Tucker

Four Horses

Steyn on Tucker

Post by Four Horses »

Last night I watched Mark Steyn on Carlson Tucker (Fox)

Steyn seems to have become that Fox version of Piers Morgan style British blowhard - heavy on the accent, light on substance, and no shortage of self importance.

The talk moved around Free Speech and associated criteria. Steyn related that Canada had a free-speech quash issue some years ago that he was involved with and asserted that he was responsible for having that law removed in Canada.

I recall - like real clearly, that it was a woman named Connie who led the charge over multi-years; a bunch of rag-tag ner'do wells of vikings, cowboys, christians, jews, conservatives, artists, weathermen, graphics, oilers, riggers, farmers, bloggers, liberals, dippers, libertarians, rebels, sailors, veterans, backhoes, backwoods, slickers, pundits, writers, commentators and other such scurvy-infested malcontents on keyboards; who who supported the unsupportable veteran Mark Lemire in his decades long quest to clear his name and fight mostly alone to expose the oppression of those who cannot be named; and then those malcontents pestered, coerced, threatened, muscled, berated, exposed, and confronted the status-quo Con Party apparatchiks in their cushy ridings across this vast country to grow something masculine that comes in pairs; and then placed their trust in a little lady with more gumption that Canada's whole parliament; to stand in the lobby of the Winnipeg CPC Convention with FD handouts to delegates; alone to stare them down and turn them around; who in turn were then compelled to corner the dismissive Steven Harper to relent, retreat, and generally cower and allow the party to rid Canada of S13 / S54.

Steyn got his pieces of silver to appear on stage a few times, write some snazzy columns, have some photo ops; then scooted across the border into the safe arms of the US Constitution.

F**k Mark Steyn
And the horse he rode in on

Really!
Great critics, of whom there are piteously few, build a home for the truth............ Raymond Chandler

Four Horses

Re: Steyn on Tucker

Post by Four Horses »

This is not the country in which to steal valor.
We already have politicians occupying those positions.
Great critics, of whom there are piteously few, build a home for the truth............ Raymond Chandler

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

It can happen to almost anybody, a drift from leadership and relevance to self-absorption and isolation. For Wellington Boote-Daley, it happened almost overnight.

I would say this about Mark Steyn, he was solid for our cause back around 2013, but as you say, Fourniers did the hard work and this is never as widely acknowledged as it should be. Nothing against Mark Steyn at all, I haven't been following him much in recent years. At least he did play a part at one point in time, whatever might be the case today.

Four Horses

Post by Four Horses »

He was on Fox last night as Tucker's replacement for the evening. Tucker is either getting a long TG weekend or he he's been reading his comments section on how his ex-supporters consider him a Rhino now.

Anyway, Steyn was.. well Mark Steyn last night. No substance to speak of; A lot of couchy-chouchy buzz words, fluctuating intonation and he seemed to be almost conveying "how fast can I get through this show? "

Older and wiser we get
but;
Too old too soon
Too smart too late

when you no longer look at someone who has been touted and presented as a starlight, savior, helper, comrade (should that word be used?) whatever, and then gets seen under a different light - wow.

nothing more than a mouthpiece for the right, regurgitating old worn out platitudes, slogans, cutie quips and tongue twisters that'll get an invite to a PAC sponsored cocktail party with a free, 2-drink maximum

I went to some of those

I recommend just going to the liquor store, paying for the bottle with your earnst money; grab a paper bag and head to a park bench. There is no 2-drink maximum. The squirrels are friendly. They are different than the squirrels at those parties. Not nearly as vicious. They don't care how many drinks you have, or had. And the rubbie guy in a trench coat living in a cardboard box down the way was probably way more bad-assed in his day, than any of that high society contingent could ever hope to be.

All this wisdom, first exposed on FD as excerpts from my maybe-new-book
Life Lessons From Once A Conservative

I'm holding out for an Obama style book deal.....