MPs 'free' lunches cost taxpayers $891 per day

Dogpatch

Post by Dogpatch »

Doesn't surprise me in the least

A supposedly "traditional" free lunch program for MPs wound up totaling $891 per day, for a total of $9,806.

A supposedly "traditional" free lunch program for MPs wound up totaling $891 per day, for a total of $9,806.

Moreover, this was for a reduced assignment of MPs due to the ongoing health crisis, and for a session that was a mere 11 days long, according to Blacklock's Reporter.

The food is made available in the lobby of the House of Commons every time Parliament is in session. This is the first time the expense has been itemized since the perk was introduced in 1991.

"Providing food for Members in the lobbies is a longstanding practice which was first introduced in 1991 further to consensus amongst all parties, food is provided in the lobbies to help support Members," mentioned Heather Bradley, spokesperson for the Office of the Speaker of Parliament.

It bears mentioning that this free food is on top of the $21 per day MPs get as a per diem. However, they are supposed to not take the $21 if they take the free lunch.

The Canadian government spends around $2 million per year on these per diems. Many are calling this another example of government waste all too common in Canada.

Tom Lukiwski, a Conservative MP from SK, objects to the waste, and says he has observed many MPs breaking the rules by pocketing the $21 and still taking advantage of the free lunch.

More at https://thepostmillennial.com/891-per-d ... ee-lunches

Jean

Re: MPs 'free' lunches cost taxpayers $891 per day

Post by Jean »

What do they eat for that price?

Even 16 oz of filet mignon and a full bottle of champagne at every meal should not get anywhere close to that price tag.

I am genieunly curious.. what the heck do they get for that price?

Post-Covid-Party

Post by Post-Covid-Party »

Jean wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:05 pm What do they eat for that price?

Even 16 oz of filet mignon and a full bottle of champagne at every meal should not get anywhere close to that price tag.

Well. ....... lets see.

"Free lunches for MPs in the House of Commons lobby cost $891 a day,"

$891 divided by 338 (MP's) = $2.63 per person

"Justin Vaive, clerk of the committee, said meals largely consisted of “sandwiches, a drink and a side order of vegetables.”

Seems about correct if you buy trays of sandwiches, trays of cut up vegies and some cases of pop and load up a coffee maker.

Math!!!! Its a festivus miracle.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Why is anyone’s lunch or any meal paid for? This pretend country is retarded.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi
Harley-Davidson XL1200CX Roadster. Black Bikes Matter

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Post-Covid-Party wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:23 pm

Well. ....... lets see.

"Justin Vaive, clerk of the committee, said meals largely consisted of “sandwiches, a drink and a side order of vegetables.”

Seems about correct if you buy trays of sandwiches, trays of cut up vegies and some cases of pop and load up a coffee maker.

I think that there might have been some missing information. $900 a day is actually very low for hundreds of people. It may be that very few MPs take the free lunch, or some other multiplication factor got lost.
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA. Disaffected progressive, here for interesting conversations.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Post-Covid-Party wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:23 pm

Well. ....... lets see.

O My bad. I tought the $891 figure was per person.