Bernier, Hillier and Sloan Join Others to Form 'End the Lockdown Caucus'

PNN

Bernier, Hillier and Sloan Join Others to Form 'End the Lockdown Caucus'

Post by PNN »

https://tnc.news/2021/02/04/bernier-hil ... wn-caucus/

Bernier, Hillier and Sloan join others to form “End the Lockdown Caucus”
By Cosmin Dzsurdzsa -February 4, 2021

Several former and current politicians have banded together to form a non-partisan organization calling for an end to lockdowns, which they claim violate Canadians’ fundamental Charter rights.

The End the Lockdown Caucus was first announced on Thursday in association with the Liberty Coalition Canada.

So far, the group includes Ontario MPP Randy Hillier, former Conservative MP Derek Sloan, former MP and People’s Party of Canada leader Maxime Bernier, Perth East Councillor Darryl Herlick and Centre Wellington Councillor Steve VanLeeuwen.

“After careful examination and scrutiny of mitigation measures undertaken by all levels of government, it is now evident that the lockdowns cause more harm than the virus and must be brought to an end,” claimed a statement signed by the group.

“We devote our energy and efforts to the just and compassionate objective of reopening our businesses, schools, places of worship, recreational facilities, along with the full resumption and expansion of efficient medical services. We desire to restore dignity and respect for all Canadians by safeguarding our representative democracy and its institutions, defending our Constitution, personal freedoms and responsibilities, whilst implementing focused protection for the most vulnerable.”

All five politicians have used their position to speak out against the harmful effects of the lockdowns to some degree.

Hillier, who was a former member of the Ontario Progressive Conservatives, has been an outspoken advocate against lockdowns. In November, Hillier was charged by local authorities after hosting an anti-lockdown rally outside of Queen’s Park.

Sloan, who was recently ejected from the federal Conservative caucus by Erin O’Toole, has also repeatedly called for an end to the lockdowns.

According to Bernier, he was motivated to join the caucus because he shares the same values as his fellow signatories.

“It was important for me to not be alone in that fight. As the leader of the People’s Party of Canada, we are the only national party in Canada that is speaking against the lockdowns for a long time,” Bernier told True North.

“I was pleased to take part and join these people in the fight against lockdowns. I think the more of us there are, the better we’ll be and the more efficient we will be.”

With regard to politicians from other parties who might be supportive of the initiative but are reluctant to join the caucus over fears of reprisal from their parties, Bernie said that any official opposed to the lockdown is welcome to join the caucus
“I think they must have the courage of their conviction. They must come with us. They must be a part of our caucus, it is too important. We need to have an open debate on all of the consequences of these lockdowns in Canada. We don’t have that open debate. We don’t have real opposition against government measures concerning the fight against the virus,” said Bernier.

Bernier also called on the general public to contact their local, provincial or federal representatives and urge them to join the caucus.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Re: Bernier, Hillier and Sloan Join Others to Form 'End the Lockdown Caucus'

Post by Connie Fournier »

The very next day, Ford started talking about re-opening.

We have to keep up the pressure, though. If we settle for masks, social distancing and gathering limits, they will do this to us again within a year.

Old normal now.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

PNN

Post by PNN »

Connie Fournier wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:39 amWe have to keep up the pressure, though. If we settle for masks, social distancing and gathering limits, they will do this to us again within a year.
True. But what's even more disturbing is the Nazism being wreaked against COVID "dissidents" by police forces. It's akin to communist China.

BDJohnston

Post by BDJohnston »

The numbers are plummeting, and yet... this is not being mentioned in the media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sxaEv1mTi0

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Good for them. I remain convinced this was engineered to provide cover for a non-legislated response to the imaginary climate emergency which Bill Gates worries about with his billionaire friends. Not saying I think COVID is imaginary, just designed to do the job of scaring the public and the political class, many of whom are probably not yet wise to the real motivations. I liked the language of the announcement, especially the part about protection of the vulnerable -- but we can't all huddle in our hovels forever just because a few people could catch a fatal virus, if it was killing 10% or some such number then it might be logical, but at the actual death and hospitalization rates we have experienced, and bearing in mind that enhanced measures around care facilities will drive that down, the lockdowns should come to an end. So should the public mask theatre, I would say just wear masks around health care facilities or if you want to wear one, that was always the case anyway, we always were used to seeing a few people wearing masks around Vancouver in normal times and thought nothing of it. If it's a choice, fine, but when forced against one's better judgment knowing full well the practice is almost pointless ... time to end that, it's just meant as a mark of submission anyway.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I cannot speak for the other provinces but here in Québec, the justifications for all the restrictions was to protect the healthcare system, prevent it from collapsing.

I fully bought into that rationale. I had been a paladin of the rules until recently.

But now, when you look at the data, all the indicators are clearly tranding in the right direction. Hospitalisations, death rates, positivity rate , 7 days moving average.. name it, it is moving in the right direction.

It’s not just Québec. It’s everywhere. Even in places with little to no restrictions.

The most vulnerables have already been vaccinated and with each passing day, even more people are getting the vaccine.

All this to say, the restrictions have lost their raison d’être. It’s time to lift them. The cure has gotten worse than the disease.

We must not allow the goalposts to be moved again.