Jason Kenney Facing Large Caucus Revolt Over Third Lockdown

PNN

Jason Kenney Facing Large Caucus Revolt Over Third Lockdown

Post by PNN »

https://westernstandardonline.com/2021/ ... -lockdown/

Kenney now facing large caucus revolt over third COVID lockdown
Fifteen UCP MLAs have sent out a public notice saying their government has gone down the wrong path by taking the province back to Phase 1 of their re-opening plans.

It’s a full-on UCP caucus revolt.

Fifteen UCP MLAs have sent out a public notice saying their government has gone down the wrong path by taking the province back to Phase 1 of their re-opening plans.

Premier Jason Kenney made the announcement on Tuesday saying he expected criticism from his own caucus – but not even he could have imagined it would the this swift and this large.

“As MLAs, we are calling on our government colleagues to recognize the pleas of our constituents,” the rebel statement reads.

“After 13 painstaking months of COVID-19 public health restrictions, we do not support the additional restrictions imposed on Albertans (Tuesday), and we will continue advocating for a transparent path forward that provides certainty to Alberta families, communities and businesses.”

“We believe yesterday’s announcement to move our province backwards, effectively abandoning the plan that Albertans had diligently worked over the past months to follow, is the wrong decision.”

Kenney knew the knives would be out.

“I fully expect to hear some of those opinions publicly in the coming days, and I welcome that,” he said.

“I’ve always welcomed a wide-ranging debate on how best to rise to the challenge of this pandemic. I just ask that the debate be informed by facts. Alberta is a diverse province, and that includes diversity of opinion.”

Kenney added “it’s not surprising that Albertans elected officials also have diverse views on how best to handle the pandemic.”

“And I also know that in our society there has been a real polarization of views on how best to deal with the challenge of this pandemic,” he said.

“On the one hand, we have some people who want what are called hard lockdowns, and have one of those in a long-term basis. Others who believe that the threat is massively exaggerated, and we should have few or no restrictions.”

“But Alberta’s approach has been to find a sensible, safe middle ground, a common ground that you can unite most Albertans. Our goal from Day 1 has been to control viral spread, to prevent an overwhelm of our healthcare system to avoid large-scale preventable deaths, while minimizing the damaging effect of public health restrictions on the broader social and economic health of our society.”

The group of MLAs represent ridings across the province, including:

Micheala Glasgo, Brooks-Medicine Hat
Miranda Rosin, Banff-Kananaskis
Todd Loewen, Central Peace-Notley
Angela Pitt, Airdrie East
Drew Barnes, Cypress-Medicine Hat
Jason Stephen, Red Deer South
Tracy Allard, Grande Prairie
Roger Reid Livingston-McLeod
Nate Horner, Drumheller-Stettler
Nathan Cooper, Olds-Didsbury-Three Hills
Glenn van Dijken, Athabasca-Barrhead-Westlock
Ron Orr, Lacombe Ponoka
Dave Hanson, Bonnyville-Cold Lake-St. Paul
RJ Sigurdson, Highwood
Mark Smith, Drayton Valley-Devon

The UCP has 63 seats.

Duane Berke

Re: Jason Kenney Facing Large Caucus Revolt Over Third Lockdown

Post by Duane Berke »

Canadian cases up 85% in the past 14 days. Records being shattered everywhere. People are not following simple rules.

Two days ago I saw a man physically removed from a Second Cup coffee joint for refusing to wear a mask. The joint itself is closed by law to indoor seating but you go to the indoor counter (wearing a mask)and can then sit on the patio with your purchase.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi
Harley-Davidson XL1200CX Roadster. Black Bikes Matter

Duane Berke

Re: Jason Kenney Facing Large Caucus Revolt Over Third Lockdown

Post by Duane Berke »

Alberta now has the highest rate on the continent ahead of any US state. Over 500 new cases a day per 100,000 population. As such there are further new regulations.

One comment on Global was good...

So we’re limited to 15 people at church unless one of them dies then it’s only 10 (a funeral). But, if they all go outside the limit is only 5.

Government and science at work.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi
Harley-Davidson XL1200CX Roadster. Black Bikes Matter