What to do about widespread fraud in the pandemic?

PeterODonnell

What to do about widespread fraud in the pandemic?

Post by PeterODonnell »

There are reports that perhaps ten per cent of the emergency benefit applications in Canada are essentially fraudulent, coming from people who don't qualify and probably (we can guess) won't be paying the windfall back to the treasury unless forced to do so. Trudeau seems to take the approach that he has to get the money out the door, this is a regrettable cost of doing the work. Maybe so but surely the message should be a bit more strict as to possible consequences. I would be hiring on a few thousand people to check the applications and not just red flag them but start laying charges (and not sending out the money either).

Here's another example of fraud that the pandemic allowed. A couple from Vancouver Island were in Mexico (according to news reports) on holiday and returned at the end of March, as they had planned, expecting their house to be vacant after short-term renters moved out. But guess what, the short term renters did not move out, claiming they cannot be evicted under the temporary laws enacted in B.C. to prevent evictions for non-payment of rent. So yes, they are not paying and staying on, forcing this couple to rent themselves somewhere else.

I can't see that this is a valid application of the law, if I agreed with any part of it, it might be for long-term renters with financial problems caused by the pandemic -- people with leases and living in legit rental units, not some air b n'b situation -- not saying air b n'b has anything to do with this, don't know. My inclination would be to stay in the driveway in my vehicle and power wash the doors every time these cretins made a move for the liquor store or the great outdoors, maybe play loud music all night if the property is suitably isolated.

But at some point the governments are going to have to refine some of these emergency laws to prevent these fraudulent applications.

I am not all that optimistic, having seen my own illegal blacklisting persist for forty years now and absolutely no interest anywhere in addressing that illegal situation (one guy called me a crank, that's the extent of the response so far).

My blacklisting is not just a personal issue. It has cost Canada and perhaps even the global community billions of dollars because there is no way that had my career been in the public sector and not hidden away in some corner of the internet, that I would have signed on to the climate fraud that has cost us so much economically (think of all the lost jobs, carbon taxes, biofuel caused famines etc). I sometimes think my blacklisting could be the biggest crime in human history. And I'm painfully aware that everybody else turned the page and said, Roger (that's my real name) just move on and deal with it, nobody cares if you're treated like shit or not.

Oh well no biggie, just keep paying that good old (gosh it's fun to be hosed) carbon tax that your elitist masters said you must pay to change the weather.

and how's
that
workin'
out for
ya so far?

(not so good, right?)

PeterODonnell

Re: What to do about widespread fraud in the pandemic?

Post by PeterODonnell »

I assume the benefit fraud is seen as a sort of easy way to pad vote totals, the kind of person who would do that would probably also like to enable the government that allowed it to happen (unless they thought they could get a sweeter deal from some other party perhaps). I won't speculate on what sort of person might be most prone to seeking a fraudulent payout, but it's probably a very Canadian blend of the old and the new (some might want to say all new, but I have seen lots of seven-generation grifters too, take for example 75% of the public sector -- I mean, PLEASE, take them).