Poll: Will you download a contact tracing app when it becomes available?

Will you download a contact tracing app when it is available?

You may select 1 option

View results

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Poll: Will you download a contact tracing app when it becomes available?

Post by Connie Fournier »

Today PM Trudeau was talking about contact tracing, and it got me thinking.

I read that 10,000 people voluntarily downloaded the app that the Alberta government supplied.

If/when a national contract tracing app becomes available, will you download it?

Feel free to reply with your reasons why or why not. Also, if you think it will eventually be a part of the software we already use like google of facebook.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Duane Berke

Re: Poll: Will you download a contact tracing app when it becomes available?

Post by Duane Berke »

No. More silliness. In my early retirement, I got bored and thus work a couple of shifts a week at Sobey's. It's not unfair to suggest I may come in relatively close contact with up to 500 people on days I work.

Btw, there are over 100 employees in the store and NOT ONE has had the virus.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Would you keep your phone if it came with the software and you couldn't delete it?
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Connie Fournier wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:43 pm
Would you keep your phone if it came with the software and you couldn't delete it?
If it came on my next iPhone (at least a year away), I'd ignore it. In the past week, I've had two motorcycle group rides and a MeetUp park picnic - all with safe distancing strictly enforced. Add a couple shifts at the front of the store and I've likely been in contact with 1,500 people in a week.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Jean

Post by Jean »

I'm ambivalent on this topic.

On one hand, contact tracing is an excellent way of slowing down the epidemy. People who know they have been in contact with an infected person would get the chance of being more careful while interacting with others as they wait for their test results. Taiwan and South Korea had great results slowing down the epidemic using contact tracing.

However, they're is significant risk with that method.
  • How is the data protected from hackers?
  • Who can access the data and for what reason?
  • What will happen to it once the epidemic is over?
All that very valuable personal data needs to be extemly well protected . I don't like one bit the potential for abuse if that database falls into the wrong hands. The data security plan needs to be rock solid.

IMO, it should be written in law than this data may be used ONLY for the purpose of fighting the epidemic. It should be a crime to access that data for any other reason. Only healthcare professionals should have access to the data. Also, it should be codified into law than the data is to be permanently deleted once the epidemic is over.

If the governement took those steps, I'd be comfortable using a contract tracing app.

WestViking

Post by WestViking »

The government will never get permission to track my movements. I would have to be convicted of a crime and have tracking court-ordered first. Contact tracing is about the power to take away my liberty because I am alleged to have had contact with some person who was infected. I prefer to wait until I show symptoms before I agree to quarantine. At my age, time is precious. So far I have given up two months to isolation rather than living life to its fullest. If anyone dreams of extending that, they had better have an iron-clad case for why continuing to live as a hermit is in my best interests.

intrepi

Post by intrepi »

Anyone who trusts government with tracking them has overdosed on the koolaid they'll take the app, a yellow star and a mark to survive, with little girls smiles on their faces.

Your more likely to die from the drone hovering overhead than this Wuhan virus.
Yeshua is near

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

I think they are also planning to replace Siri and Alexa (the phone voices) with Karen.

I may get the app, right after I return from my visit to the Obama Presidential Library and perhaps after a tour of the Museum of Human Rights. Those are most likely to occur around the 12th of Never.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

WestViking wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:55 pm
The government will never get permission to track my movements. I would have to be convicted of a crime and have tracking court-ordered first. Contact tracing is about the power to take away my liberty because I am alleged to have had contact with some person who was infected. I prefer to wait until I show symptoms before I agree to quarantine. At my age, time is precious. So far I have given up two months to isolation rather than living life to its fullest. If anyone dreams of extending that, they had better have an iron-clad case for why continuing to live as a hermit is in my best interests.
I agree 100%. I am afraid we might have a fight on our hands, though. Our rulers seem to be liking this a little too much. X(

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

intrepi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:17 am
Anyone who trusts government with tracking them has overdosed on the koolaid they'll take the app, a yellow star and a mark to survive, with little girls smiles on their faces.

I am so disappointed in some of my fellow Canadians. People I have respected for years are perfectly okay with handing their rights over to the government, and ratting out the people who don't comply.

I really think they would hop into a box car if they thought it was going to a COVID protection camp. And, I am dead serious.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

PeterODonnell wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:10 am
I think they are also planning to replace Siri and Alexa (the phone voices) with Karen.
Okay, this made me laugh out loud! =))

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

On the Apple ios platform, it will be called iNag.

Otherwise, resist the fascists and shoot the rats.
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

I worry more about the future potential uses than the current situation but even there, in smaller communities releasing a lot of public information about who is and who isn't "contagious" is very destabilizing and potentially harmful to vulnerable people who might already be ostracized in their small communities where everyone knows everyone else. In a larger city the information would have more limited personal impacts. However, people are going to download these things if they are worrywarts and will avoid them if they are privacy minded libertarians with an eye on the future. I don't know if they will reach even 25% of market saturation and if so they won't be that useful even as intended.

But there's no damned way I would hand over my cell phone to government trackers knowing what uses they might make of that information in the future. The harsh reality is, our freedom includes the freedom to take risks, get sick or die. I don't remember the government being given any implicit responsibility to prevent harm, sickness or death in this world, perhaps God could bring about a government like that, but human beings cannot and shouldn't even try (who wants to live forever without a perfected body? show of hands? I thought not).

intrepi

Post by intrepi »

Connie Fournier wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:23 am
intrepi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:17 am

I am so disappointed in some of my fellow Canadians. People I have respected for years are perfectly okay with handing their rights over to the government, and ratting out the people who don't comply.

I really think they would hop into a box car if they thought it was going to a COVID protection camp. And, I am dead serious.
Yep I hear ya. I also see so many churches with leftists now doing planning, time is winding down.
Yeshua is near