John Ivison: Canada avoided a COVID-19 food shortage, but the shockwaves aren’t over yet

Mark Fournier

John Ivison: Canada avoided a COVID-19 food shortage, but the shockwaves aren’t over yet

Post by Mark Fournier »

One of the few pleasant surprises to have emerged from the pandemic is that predictions of food shortages have proven overblown so far. Read More

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/NP_Top_S ... t-over-yet

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Re: John Ivison: Canada avoided a COVID-19 food shortage, but the shockwaves aren’t over yet

Post by Connie Fournier »

It isn't over yet. Doug Ford is threatening to shut Ontario down again if the cases keep going up, and Justin Trudeau is saying we won't be back to normal until there is a vaccine. I am afraid this is going to get much, much worse before it gets better.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Duane Berke

Re: John Ivison: Canada avoided a COVID-19 food shortage, but the shockwaves aren’t over yet

Post by Duane Berke »

In my couple short shifts a week at Sobeys I observe simply stupid buying. People are in a quiet panic IMO. Who buys nine packs of cookies or four rolls of aluminium foil wrap? I suggest people are worried they won't be able to get it next week or next month. $200. to $300. orders are the norm. I had a woman Thursday night at $406. in the dark in the rain with snow about to start. Her heaping cart reflected panic to me.

I generally have back up stock of most things from deodorant to shave cream and I have enough food for several weeks always. I admit to a frenzy on cat food because my cat requires a vet formula not in grocery stores (after my $2,340. hospital bill for him a year ago).

The grand and gala reopening of the USA and to a lesser extent, Canada is going to drive us back into lockdown as new cases spike off the charts. This is not a game.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

A vaccine wont help diddly squat, as most shots for the flu can never completely blanket all the various strains. There are moral and ethical issues with this upcoming vaccine as well.

I would agree things will get worse, and downright ugly. With my present health situation I have to be more cautious to be sure. I have shopped in the past when stores were quiet because I cannot stand crowds. I do not flock to places and events where there are large numbers of humans. Sunday Mass attendance at our little mission chapel has always been on the small side so that was not an issue re: social distancing. Places of worship are opening in the US but I doubt we will see the same here.

An elderly friend took me out to Red Lobster for lunch yesterday. I found the situation quite pathetic. Where we in a restaurant or a hospital/clinic? If this is going to be the new norm for dining in, I believe I shall give it a pass. (Not to mention that Red Lobster is over priced for the portions you get. Just not worth it in my book.)

As for the sheeple, I do wonder what it is like to live in such falsely fabricated fear.
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.