Alberta plates getting nasty notes and cars keyed in BC

Duane Berke

Alberta plates getting nasty notes and cars keyed in BC

Post by Duane Berke »

Seems like some people in BC don't want visitors from next door and are all in a huff.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6995273/albe ... ronavirus/
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Ursus

Re: Alberta plates getting nasty notes and cars keyed in BC

Post by Ursus »

If areas in BC that are heavily reliant on tourism, esp Alberta tourism (towns et al just on the other side of the Continental Divide) don’t want Albertans, then they can sign their own death warrant.
It would be a small shame though if I never get to Radium Hot Springs again.
With many national parks opening up June 1st, it will be interesting to see how many dipshitters from any side of any provincial border will act stupidly.

I know I might, “Touch that vehicle boy, and you ain’t gonna die from Covid 19, I guarantee!” :D :D ;) :p :ymcowboy:
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

What's that line from Pulp Fiction? "It'd be worth them doing it to catch them doing it."
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

Duane Berke wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:11 pm
What's that line from Pulp Fiction? "It'd be worth them doing it to catch them doing it."
I guess I shall see. Younger friend and I are planning a few days in the mountains just on the other side of the border. I suspect it will be ok.
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Mark Fournier

Post by Mark Fournier »

I didn't know Karen knew how to write, I thought she just squawked.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Resentment in BC against Alberta has always been there in the background, it affects mostly the far left and random anti-social types who don't like anybody including themselves. In my experience, most people in BC don't have this attitude, it's restricted to a few and of course it only takes a few to produce these results.

I must say that I have pretty much decided against going to Alberta any time in a car with BC plates because I would expect people there to have negative attitudes towards British Columbians after the awful rants of BC politicians against the vital economic interests of Alberta. I don't want to be the scapegoat for what other people say or do. Personally I am pro-Alberta but maybe that would not be known to people randomly passing my vehicle. However problem solved as I now don't have a vehicle and could rent there I suppose, if I ever wanted to travel.

More inclined to travel south anyway.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Duane Berke wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:24 pm
Seems like some people in BC don't want visitors from next door and are all in a huff.
The COVID situation has enabled people to bring to the surface various resentments including this one. Another one that has surfaced is that people in some isolated resort towns in BC don't really want outsiders coming in, as they see it "spreading the virus" and taking up space in their bit of paradise.

I think this is fairly standard across all of North America, have heard exactly the same in relation to Vermont, North Carolina, Nevada and Ontario cottage country.

So it's not just Albertans, but any wealthy outsiders, that are being exposed to this attitude. The thing is, the attitude was always there, COVID just made it a bit easier to rant at a public level. Whether any significant number of people agree is a different question. In small B.C. towns you can always find somebody to badmouth Albertans but they are usually not very well-liked people anyway and since most of us have relatives in Alberta the attitude is not really all that widespread, just the usual grousing from the usual suspects. They would usually go on to badmouth all other outsiders too.

This too shall pass, once things get back to normal this will fade into the background again.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

When married, my in-laws were very wealthy people with FOUR homes in various locations in three countries. One of them was a magnificent ski home at Panorama, BC very close to the quad chair on the side of the mountain. Three floors, the lower being a walkout/ski in.

We all spent Christmas there one year and I couldn't help but notice that every driveway at these magnificent homes up the mountain had driveways crammed with Alberta plates. My inlaws knew many of them from business dealings and big oil. In the hot tubs you just didn't run into anyone from Cranbrook or Golden. All Albertans.

To a lesser extent I've read the same of many Okanagan retirement locations as well as Oak Bay Drive in Victoria. All these Albertans paying taxes and spending money in BC. What bastards!

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

Panorama, Invermere, Radium Hot Springs..........all heavily dependant on Alberta tourism. Maybe we should just Anschluss that corrider. ;) :D

Beautiful drive from Invermere up to Panorama on a sunny warm day. Not much to do there outside the ski season (I dont ski). Either the hot pools were too small or I am too big. :@) And of course one runs into at least one young Australian working up here on an exchange program. Tis pleasant on the ears to hear a female Aussie accent.

What kind of new world awaits this Covid hysteria in this country?

It's a new Covid virus takin' over,
It's a new bitchin' Karen who is appalled,
Losing my sense of composure,
Just tired of it all, just tired of it all

Dat'n-doo-dow dow-dat'n-doo-dow
Dat'n-doo-dow dow-dow-dow
Dat'n-doo-dow dow-dat'n-doo-dow
Dat'n-doo-dow dow
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Post by Connie Fournier »

Here everyone has a "story" about seeing people from the USA that sneaked in by boat!!

The government has set up a tip line to report them.

I am so sick of this.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

Connie Fournier wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:30 am
Here everyone has a "story" about seeing people from the USA that sneaked in by boat!!

The government has set up a tip line to report them.

I am so sick of this.
Plenty of these type of folk; coming out of their collective moral sewers.

Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

I propose to Albertans that when you see BC plates this summer, walk up and shake their hands (well, elbow bump these days) and welcome them to Alberta. Ask if they need any assistance or directions.

ps. British Columbians are likely to find more of this than they wish but as an example, the IGA Supermarket in Golden, BC is owned by a family from Calgary. They employ over 100 people in Golden.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

I having been using this greeting for the most part. :D

Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

There are other ones I would like to use to express my disgust but I won’t post them here so I don’t cause problems with Nastzi fasciae und plumbing.
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.