Washington, D.C., will cut speed limit on residential streets to 20 mph

Mark Fournier

Washington, D.C., will cut speed limit on residential streets to 20 mph

Post by Mark Fournier »

WASHINGTON -- The mayor of the U.S. capital said Friday Washington D.C. will reduce the speed limit on most local city streets by 20% to 20 miles per hour starting June 1 in a bid to reduce pedestrian deaths. Read More

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/NP_Top_S ... -to-20-mph

Duane Berke

Re: Washington, D.C., will cut speed limit on residential streets to 20 mph

Post by Duane Berke »

If somebody's talking on a cell phone or texting, I highly doubt there's little difference if they hit me at 20 or 30.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Driving through DC, which I have done multiple times, is actually very difficult to do. There are simply not enough roads, and the roads are not wide enough, to adequately provide flow to such a large metropolitan population. That latter number is ~6.3 million, but there are probably a lot of people from Northern Virginia and even Baltimore who commute in regularly. I don't know if that includes the diplomats, or the large number of people in hotels and airbnbs who are probably there at any given time.

For comparison, as recently as 1990, the population of the metropolitan area was 3.9 million, and it was 3.1 million in 1980. Thus, it's doubled in 40 years, but I doubt that the infrastructure has doubled.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingto ... litan_area

I confirm that the traffic sucks in and near DC. If google maps tells me that a trip should take one hour, I know that it might take two hours.

The large number of diplomats might be an exacerbating concern. It may be that many of them don't care about traffic rules, as they have diplomatic immunity, and thus they end up undermining the entire system.
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Post by Connie Fournier »

You couldn't pay me enough to live there and drive through that, DA_Champion!
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Some neighbourhoods here through community leagues and citizen pressure have had the city reduce speed from 50 kph to 30 kph, or the same as school and playground zones. Some people on bicycles are going faster.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi