My name is Connie and I'm a COVIDIOT

DA_Champion

Re: My name is Connie and I'm a COVIDIOT

Post by DA_Champion »

The death rate in the USA is increasing, back over 2,000/day.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 0-000.html
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA. Disaffected progressive, here for interesting conversations.

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

DA_Champion wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:37 am The death rate in the USA is increasing, back over 2,000/day.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 0-000.html
Nope, over 1000 a day yes, not 2000. My objective analyst points at Florida as the bell weather for the south east. They are really having a tough time getting the trend of deaths downward in Florida. Don't know why. The south east is the key to restarting the down trend in national deaths.

But all that means is the media as sycophants for the Democratic party will continue to argue for another shutdown, which Trump has stated he will not do. Even lousier science has teacher unions demanding not to return to school.

I think what we can agree on is the USA has politicized the outbreak, while Canada really has not.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Duke Atriedes wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 pm
Nope, over 1000 a day yes, not 2000. My objective analyst points at Florida as the bell weather for the south east. They are really having a tough time getting the trend of deaths downward in Florida. Don't know why. The south east is the key to restarting the down trend in national deaths.

But all that means is the media as sycophants for the Democratic party will continue to argue for another shutdown, which Trump has stated he will not do. Even lousier science has teacher unions demanding not to return to school.

I think what we can agree on is the USA has politicized the outbreak, while Canada really has not.
You're right I don't know how that article got 2000. Thank you for pointing that out.

Floridians are exceptionally anti-mask. I have family that has been driving up and down the east coast in the past few months for work reasons. In Florida you get shunned if you wear a mask. In New York you get shunned if you don't wear a mask. Completely ridiculous.

I agree that the politicization is unfortunate. I also remember that in the earliest days of the epidemic it was actually conservatives suggesting caution. Tucker Carlson went to speak to President Trump early on to convince him to take it more seriously. It was conservatives who were buying masks.

I disagree with you on schools. I expect that we'll see an increase in rates soon due to schools reopening. A few kids will die, and we'll see far larger numbers of kids lose their teachers, parents, etc. Trump has stated that he will not do another shutdown, but once teachers and parents end up in the ICUs and in coffins, there will be another shutdown. It is inevitable.

Fortunately, the teachers in my area will be using zoom teaching.

My family member in Florida tells me that the staff at the day cares there are not wearing masks. What happens when they get sick and there's no one to watch the kids? They will close the daycares. But apparently the daycares are taking the temperatures of each kid every two hours. That is not useful, it only provides an illusion of control. Once a kid has a high temp he will already have infected everybody.

Why is the Southeast the key to reopening the economy?
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA. Disaffected progressive, here for interesting conversations.

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Southeast is the key because the death rates nationally were in a downtrend up until early July. A counter trend was established primarily by deaths in Florida, Texas and others in the south east. They continue to be the driving factor of the national deaths.

I have to wonder if teachers are cowards. If bus drivers, grocery workers, ect, can do their jobs, why not teachers. In the USA where 300+ kids have died to COVID 13,000 have died of other causes. So the risk is not to the children but to teachers primarily. In Canada we ARE re-opening the schools. Not a problem here at all. So why are some in the USA making this political?

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Another question: why should we pay teachers a salary if they refuse to come into work?

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Oh and I have seen the dirty looks here, but all and all, in BC hardly anyone wears masks anymore. Which is funny because I live in one of the most self righteous cities on the planet. Had some a hole ask me to stop idling my car.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Well the problem is basically that the thing is just serious enough to be harmful to some and generally mild enough to be a nuisance (like the common cold) to many. What I am not too certain about is phase two of this, when or if whoever planned this part out reveals the next stage of their plandemic, and whether or not the results are what they expected, better (for us) or worse (for us). We won't know, but there could be a COVID-20 or COVID-21 lurking in some lab just getting some fine tuning.

Oddly enough I feel better than if there had been no COVID-19 because of all the things I am doing to avoid it. I might have been Superman in the black death.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

By the way, 2019 called, and asked why do I get the designation when only a few Chinese bats had the thing in 2019? Call it COVID-20 and leave me alone (said 2019).

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Duke Atriedes wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:49 pm Oh and I have seen the dirty looks here, but all and all, in BC hardly anyone wears masks anymore. Which is funny because I live in one of the most self righteous cities on the planet. Had some a hole ask me to stop idling my car.
Was it Andrew Weaver, Liz May or just one of their drones?

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

No, LOL, costco employees

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

Dateline west coast of LaLaland.......In order to prevent more virtual signalling mishaps, Costco employees have been issued soothers and butt plugs to keep said employees from spouting CO2 stupidities and sulfurous methane emissions, helping thus to put a dent in global warming, re climate change in addition to Covidiocy.
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Duke Atriedes wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:47 pm Another question: why should we pay teachers a salary if they refuse to come into work?
To note, schools were SHUT DOWN in the USA with 5,000 cases and 97 deaths nationwide. Now there are over 5 million cases (almost certainly a low ball) and over 165,000 deaths and they want to abruptly OPEN schools. Talk about madness spinning out of control in a train wreck with ZERO leadership. Close the border indefinitely.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Duke Atriedes wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:46 pm I have to wonder if teachers are cowards. If bus drivers, grocery workers, ect, can do their jobs, why not teachers. In the USA where 300+ kids have died to COVID 13,000 have died of other causes. So the risk is not to the children but to teachers primarily. In Canada we ARE re-opening the schools. Not a problem here at all. So why are some in the USA making this political?
Teachers will be going back to work everywhere in the USA, but doing so over zoom in some states.
Duke Atriedes wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:47 pm Another question: why should we pay teachers a salary if they refuse to come into work?
They're still teaching.
There's probably an economic case to pay everybody who's working from home less than they are today, including all white-collar workers who are undoubtedly working fewer hours, on average. But if we do that we will see a catastrophic deflation.

It's the same reason congress wants to extend unemployment insurance and give out another stimulus check. They're buying time.
Duke Atriedes wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:49 pm Oh and I have seen the dirty looks here, but all and all, in BC hardly anyone wears masks anymore. Which is funny because I live in one of the most self righteous cities on the planet. Had some a hole ask me to stop idling my car.
Do you live near Peter?

British Columbia, with 5.1 million, has had 195 deaths. The USA, with 328 million people, has had 165,000 deaths. So from a simple contagion estimate, residents of the USA are at a (5.1/328)*(165/0.195) ~ 13.2x greater risk. That factor of 13x is a lot. You are older than I am, but I'm not sure if you're at greater risk.
PeterODonnell wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:39 am Well the problem is basically that the thing is just serious enough to be harmful to some and generally mild enough to be a nuisance (like the common cold) to many. What I am not too certain about is phase two of this, when or if whoever planned this part out reveals the next stage of their plandemic, and whether or not the results are what they expected, better (for us) or worse (for us). We won't know, but there could be a COVID-20 or COVID-21 lurking in some lab just getting some fine tuning.
If this is genetically engineered, there is no need for a second disease. Other powers don't generally want to destroy America, they want to weaken it, as that's a more preferable outcome.

There is also a secondary illness that is emerging, that medical science is not prepared to deal with: long covid / long-haul covid / post-coronavirus syndrome. Many Covid sufferers, including some much younger ones, are reporting persistent chronic fatigue syndrome, emergence of allergies and autoimmune issues, etc, months after recovering from the illness. The scarring of the lungs is the most well-known long-term effect. Given that the country already spends 18% of its GDP (!!!) on health care, a population-wide increase in chronic health issues will be devastating, never mind the fact that many of these people will no longer be able to be productive.

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Respectfully teaching children over zoom is not a high quality form of education. It's why kids need class room time. And if BC teachers can do it why not teachers in the USA. My wife teaches in a private school. If the province forced all teaches to stay home, she would be out of a job. Those that pay for private school are not going to pay thousands to stay home from work to guide their kids into remote schooling. We tried it the last few months and it is even worse on the kids with parents who don't care, or poor kids who have few resources to have on line teaching.

The administrators in the USA need to take a tough approach and tell the damn teachers its in classroom or they can forgoe a paycheck. A grocery worker working from home is not going to get paid.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Duke Atriedes wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:49 pm Respectfully teaching children over zoom is not a high quality form of education. It's why kids need class room time. And if BC teachers can do it why not teachers in the USA. My wife teaches in a private school. If the province forced all teaches to stay home, she would be out of a job. Those that pay for private school are not going to pay thousands to stay home from work to guide their kids into remote schooling. We tried it the last few months and it is even worse on the kids with parents who don't care, or poor kids who have few resources to have on line teaching.

The administrators in the USA need to take a tough approach and tell the damn teachers its in classroom or they can forgoe a paycheck. A grocery worker working from home is not going to get paid.
Respectfully, I think we're being respectful !

The quality of education is almost certainly going to drop this year. But that is inevitable regardless of what policy makers decide. There are no perfect solutions in this situation, only some less terrible ones.

What I predict will happen is that of those American states that open schools, they will end up closing them. That will happen after parents, teachers, and a few kids get sick. That may not happen in BC as your border is closed.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Post by Connie Fournier »

Case numbers mean absolutely nothing. The more you test, the more cases you will find. It says nothing about the seriousness of the cases, or the load on the medical system.

We need to look at excess death rates, because we can't even trust the published COVID death rates because they call everything COVID.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Free Markets

Post by Free Markets »

Findings In this cohort study, the number of deaths due to any cause increased by approximately 122 000 from March 1 to May 30, 2020, which is 28% higher than the reported number of COVID-19 deaths.

Meaning Official tallies of deaths due to COVID-19 underestimate the full increase in deaths associated with the pandemic in many states.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamain ... le/2767980

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Post by Connie Fournier »

There is a human cost to the lockdown that will have to be taken into account when this is over.

And, it will be interesting to see the breakdown of excess deaths in specific areas. For instance, Randy Hillier has been compiling some numbers from Ontario, and it looks like the number of deaths is not very different from other years.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Connie Fournier wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:18 pm Case numbers mean absolutely nothing. The more you test, the more cases you will find. It says nothing about the seriousness of the cases, or the load on the medical system.

We need to look at excess death rates, because we can't even trust the published COVID death rates because they call everything COVID.
Do you those reporting the number of deaths are lying? My wife, playing devils advocate, asked "what would be the motivation for health officials to make the numbers higher"?