No Surprise -- 86 Per Cent of Americans Say News Media are Biased

PNN

No Surprise -- 86 Per Cent of Americans Say News Media are Biased

Post by PNN »

https://www.theepochtimes.com/86-percen ... 60707.html

86 Percent of Americans Believe News Media Is Biased, Major Poll Finds
BY IVAN PENTCHOUKOV
August 13, 2020 Updated: August 13, 2020

A growing number of Americans view the news media as biased even as majorities continue to believe that an independent press is essential to a functional democracy.
A major trust-in-media poll of 20,000 Americans by Gallup and The Knight Foundation found that 86 percent of the people surveyed between Nov. 8, 2019, and Feb. 16, 2020, believed that the media is biased, up from 62 percent in 2007 ...

-----

https://knightfoundation.org/press/rele ... democracy/

GALLUP/KNIGHT POLL: AMERICANS’ CONCERNS ABOUT MEDIA BIAS DEEPEN, EVEN AS THEY SEE IT AS VITAL FOR DEMOCRACY
AUGUST 4, 2020

WASHINGTON – (Aug. 4, 2020) – A new report from Gallup and Knight Foundation finds a widening gap between what Americans expect from the news media and what they think they are getting. While Americans increasingly value the media’s role in our democracy, they are losing confidence in the idea of an objective media as perceptions of bias grow.
The findings were released today in “American Views 2020: Trust, Media and Democracy,” a landmark survey of 20,000 Americans that is part of the Gallup/Knight series on the evolution of Americans’ relationship with the news. The report is available at kf.org/usviews20.
The report’s major findings include the following:
• Americans think the media is vital for democracy. The vast majority of Americans (84%) say that the news media is “critical” (49%) or “very important” (35%) to provide accurate information and hold the powerful accountable.
• Half (49%) of all Americans think the media is very biased. Fifty-six percent say their own news sources are biased, and seven in 10 are concerned about bias in the news others are getting. Eight percent — driven largely by conservatives — say distrusted media are trying to ruin the country.
• Americans think the media is pushing an agenda. Three in four people (74%) worry that owners of media companies are influencing coverage, up five points since 2017. They also suspect that inaccuracies in reporting are purposeful, with 54% believing that reporters misrepresent the facts, and 28% believing reporters make them up entirely.
• Distrust of the media cuts along partisan lines. Seventy-five percent of Republicans have an unfavorable view of the media, and 61% say attacks on the media are justified. But only 22% of Democrats have an unfavorable view, and 70% say that attacks are not justified.
The new report builds on Knight’s 2018 American Views survey, which found that party affiliation is the key predictor for how Americans view the media. The results of the 2020 survey suggest further partisan entrenchment in media attitudes. While pessimism about the media has deepened across the board over the past two years, it is most pronounced among Republicans.
“Most Americans have lost confidence in the media to deliver the news objectively,” said Sam Gill, Knight’s senior vice president and chief program officer. “This is corrosive for our democracy.”
The survey, conducted over the winter, sheds light on a range of trends in Americans’ attitudes toward the media. As the report states, low levels of public trust in the media have “left open the possibility for dangerous false narratives to take root in all segments of society.”
Additional findings from the poll include:
• Americans are overwhelmed by the speed and volume of information, and the Internet is making it worse. Three in four (72%) Americans think the leading cause of information overload is the mix of news and non-news online, including on social media. Nearly eight in 10 (78%) think misinformation online is the leading problem with news today.
• Americans want more newsroom diversity, but they differ on what kind of diversity is needed. Democrats (49%) and blacks (60%) prioritize racial/ethnic diversity in hiring, while Republicans (51%) and whites (35%) prioritize ideological diversity in journalists’ political views.
• Americans blame the media for political divisions, but they also see the potential for the media to heal these divides. Eighty-four percent of Americans say the media is to blame for political division in this country. Still, 84% also say the media can serve as a healing force.
• Local news plays a key role in civic engagement. People who read and watch local news are more likely to take part in important community issues, like voting. Those who follow local news “very closely” are more than twice as likely than those who do not to participate in local elections—81% versus 35%, respectively.
The findings will be discussed at two upcoming virtual events in partnership with the Paley Center. The first taking place at 2 p.m. on Aug. 6. To register, visit paley.me/knight.
The survey is part of Gallup and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation’s Trust, Media and Democracy research series, which aims to address the decline in trust for journalism and other democratic institutions by examining the causes and supporting solutions.
For interviews with experts from Knight Foundation to discuss the new report and its findings, please contact Tony Franquiz at [email protected] or 202-374-5393.
###
About the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
Knight Foundation is a national foundation with strong local roots. We invest in journalism, in the arts, and in the success of cities where brothers John S. and James L. Knight once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy. For more, visit kf.org.
About Gallup
Gallup delivers analytics and advice to help leaders and organizations solve their most pressing problems. Combining more than 80 years of experience with its global reach, Gallup knows more about the attitudes and behaviors of employees, customers, students and citizens than any other organization in the world. For more, visit: gallup.com

Duke Atriedes

Re: No Surprise -- 86 Per Cent of Americans Say News Media are Biased

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Well, hoping this poll is correct, as it gives me some hope for November. The little boy who was shot in the head by that savage still not reported in MSM. Bare mention from Fox News.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

This reminds of the term spoken by the character Mr Universe in the movie Serenity:ThePuppet Theatre.

And of course 1984 again and again and again....

When will our choco rations truly be increased?

=p~
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

I've watched more television the past few months than ever in my life, including a lot of CNN. I've observed two things:

- Television is brutally bad

- The USA is no longer a first world country. God help it.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Duane Berke wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:28 pm I've watched more television the past few months than ever in my life, including a lot of CNN. I've observed two things:

- Television is brutally bad

- The USA is no longer a first world country. God help it.
How long have you been critical of Trump?
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA. Disaffected progressive, here for interesting conversations.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

I gave him some benefit of the doubt early (although I didn't vote for him) because Hillary is a criminal skank who should have been in prison over Whitewater.

What I've seen since is an abomination. He's a liar; treasonous; scandal plagued; and apart from dozens of other gong shows is now using the office as a threat against the USPS over finances in his bid to stop mail-in ballets.

He is beyond disgusting. Factor in ZERO national leadership (witness Covid) with ZERO regard for Americans and their safety and health and you have a maniac, narcissistic psychopath. That as many Americans support him as do, says the nation is possibly lost.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

I approved of Trump on a few issues, I understood many of the reasons people had to not vote for Clinton, and similarly I understand why many people do not want to vote for Biden. It was also the case that President Obama didn't leave things in tip top shape. The country was in weaker shape than when President Bush left.

But I agree that on the whole Trump has been a disaster, and his continued popularity and tenure represent awful developments. It was hard to see at first because there was a lot of noise, but I absolutely disgusted by his (mis)-handling of the hurricane in Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans are American citizens and they were hurting, but the only policy priority was to make sure some vultures get rich over funds marked as "aid money". This has continued for another three years.

Another catastrophe was the result of the Ban on vs Cohn fight. Steve Bannon wanted Trump to pursue an aggressive infrastructure plan, which would have actually been very helpful for the country. Gary Cohn, the former GS execs and then national economic adviser, counter-lobbied to instead spend that money on tax cuts. That was not what the country needed. Each of airports, sewage, roads, etc are in bad shape. I feel like I'm seeing more and more traffic and more and more potholes every year.

As you've written, there is zero leadership on Covid. The country could be out of it by now, but instead we might have 30% unemployment by this time next year.
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA. Disaffected progressive, here for interesting conversations.

PNN

Post by PNN »

If you think Trump is a "disaster," just wait till you see the alternatives ...

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

PNN wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:54 pm If you think Trump is a "disaster," just wait till you see the alternatives ...
Do you know what typically happens to declining civilizations when they get rid of bad leaders?

They get other bad leaders.

And I think most people know that. Given that I live and work in the USA, and that half my family and friends are American, I would prefer that things improve. But I'm well aware that they might not.

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

I personally think Trump is doing an outstanding job and really don’t care if people don’t like his persona. He has delivered and that’s all that matters to me

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Don’t get so called conservatives who hate Trump. He has been the best thing for conservatives and if he did anything wrong it was stopping the economy at all. People who think we shut down an economy over a nothing g burger virus are frankly lunatics

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Mail in ballots are a disaster and Democrats will cheat like crazy. Trump cannot allow ma in ballots

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Mail in ballots are a disaster and Democrats will cheat like crazy. Trump cannot allow ma in ballots

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Never trumpets should see Trumps response to covid as a god damned hero. Millions were to die and only 170000 are dead. It’s a fucking virus what did you expect him to do. Put on battle armour? Cuomo is the one that actually sent people to their deaths. It’s a virus that has killed less than one tenth of a percent. Pull up your panties and get the fuck over it. I am so done with you fake conservative never Trumpers and have no fucking use for you. Good bye

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Duke Atriedes wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:43 am Never trumpets should see Trumps response to covid as a god damned hero. Millions were to die and only 170000 are dead. It’s a fucking virus what did you expect him to do. Put on battle armour? Cuomo is the one that actually sent people to their deaths. It’s a virus that has killed less than one tenth of a percent. Pull up your panties and get the fuck over it. I am so done with you fake conservative never Trumpers and have no fucking use for you. Good bye
Duke if it makes it better I don't actually claim to be a conservative, so I cannot be a so-called conservative.

I'm a disaffected progressive, a refugee from the mainstream left and its current preoccupation with symbols and identity politics at the expense of class and economic issues. I'm here because I learned a lot posting on FD years ago.

Please don't leave on my behalf. You're much more important to the place.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Only 170,000 died? I gather none in your family Duke? I'm a conservative. Trump is a narcissist psychopath.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

I would never argue that Trump is a pure conservative.
It’s grieves one to say that the United States of America is very likely heading towards a true Civil War, most likely in 2021 after the November election.
All that said, the thought of the Democrats winning the presidency and or any control about the Congress over the house of representative Will Simply Drive America faster into bloody constraint.

This is at heart supernatural problem that requires a supernatural solution. If men choose poorly in their exercise of their free will, then they shall reap what they sow.
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

PNN

Post by PNN »

Duane Berke wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:14 pmTrump is a narcissist psychopath.
That's an absurd statement.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Really? It will disappear. It is what it is. It's just about gone. We've got it beat. What about ingesting bleach or Clorox or Javex? Sabotaging the post office? If I lose it will be rigged. Fake news. Mails in ballot when no one else should be allowed. Going to any length to protect 2016 leaks to Russians?

This piece of trash is just that. Even Colin Powell spoke against him last night. Half the convention speakers seem to be Republicans like former Ohio Governor John Kasich. Where are his tax returns? Trump will be in court for years when he's punted.

angel9018

Post by angel9018 »

Hey...Dam Strait. You sure have the Democratic talking points at hand. Ever consider taking an objective look at what is going on. I suppose you are OK with impeaching Trump on no crime at all. PATHETIC!!!!

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

The postal service issue is actually quite bad. A lot of Americans still rely on the mail for services such as delivery of medications. Further, a lot of financial companies still send checks in the mail, such as insurance refunds and reimbursements, for example. What Trump is doing to the post office isn't just partisan chicanery, it's owning millions of at-risk Americans.

intrepi

Post by intrepi »

Duke Atriedes wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:25 am Don’t get so called conservatives who hate Trump. He has been the best thing for conservatives and if he did anything wrong it was stopping the economy at all. People who think we shut down an economy over a nothing g burger virus are frankly lunatics
That is because they aren't conservative. I remember the same anti conservative sh*te from the same people on the old fd.
Yeshua is near

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

intrepi wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:18 pm That is because they aren't conservative. I remember the same anti conservative sh*te from the same people on the old fd.
Intrepi, there's no "they", there's no "people", as far as I can tell, it's just me.

I guess old posters like yourself won't be too surprised by what I write, but it might be misleading for new posters. So I've added a comment in my signature, which I think is more fair, and thus people don't get caught off guard when I post non-conservative view points.

It's understandable why you'd refer to my posts as sh*te. Many of my posts on the old FD were antagonizing, belligerent, and condescending, and contributed less value than I thought they did. I think you can see that I have not done that here. My general posting style changed about three years ago due to developments in a completely different area. When I was talking down to people I was often simply being lazy and indulging in narcissism. That is the stage where a lot of leftists are now with "they're all racist and sexist deplorables". It's immature, and even worse than that, it's irrational.

intrepi

Post by intrepi »

DA_Champion wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:19 pm
intrepi wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:18 pm That is because they aren't conservative. I remember the same anti conservative sh*te from the same people on the old fd.
Intrepi, there's no "they", there's no "people", as far as I can tell, it's just me.

I guess old posters like yourself won't be too surprised by what I write, but it might be misleading for new posters. So I've added a comment in my signature, which I think is more fair, and thus people don't get caught off guard when I post non-conservative view points.

It's understandable why you'd refer to my posts as sh*te. Many of my posts on the old FD were antagonizing, belligerent, and condescending, and contributed less value than I thought they did. I think you can see that I have not done that here. My general posting style changed about three years ago due to developments in a completely different area. When I was talking down to people I was often simply being lazy and indulging in narcissism. That is the stage where a lot of leftists are now with "they're all racist and sexist deplorables". It's immature, and even worse than that, it's irrational.
There are others and at least you don't refer to yourself as conservative.
Yeshua is near

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Post by Connie Fournier »

PNN wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:54 pm If you think Trump is a "disaster," just wait till you see the alternatives ...
Yup.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Post by Connie Fournier »

Duane Berke wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:14 pm Only 170,000 died? I gather none in your family Duke? I'm a conservative. Trump is a narcissist psychopath.
You have been watching too much CNN.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

It has gone from the Clinton news network to the Chicken Noodle to the Criminally Negligent Nincompoops
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

angel9018

Post by angel9018 »

crazy responses such as those from Damn Strait are ruining this board

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

angel9018 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:19 pm crazy responses such as those from Damn Strait are ruining this board
Please explain. Thanks.