Black Lives Matter Officials Embrace Spirits, Ancestral Worship

PNN

Black Lives Matter Officials Embrace Spirits, Ancestral Worship

Post by PNN »

https://christiannews.net/2020/08/28/bl ... l-worship/

BLM Co-Founder, LA Chapter Leader Discuss Group’s Occultic Practices of ‘Invoking Spirits,’ African ‘Ancestral Worship’
By Heather Clark on August 28, 2020

In an interview posted to social media, Black Lives Matter (BLM) Co-Founder Patrisse Cullors, along with BLM Los Angeles Co-Founder Melina Abdullah, discussed the “spiritual” component of the movement, explaining the practices and “rituals” performed to remember and “invoke” the spirits of deceased African Americans.

“We speak their names … [and] you kind of invoke that spirit, and then their spirits actually become present with you,” Abdullah, a professor at California State University, stated during the discussion hosted by Fowler Museum at UCLA.

Cullors outlined that she was raised Jehovah’s Witness, and “ancestral worship became really important” as she got older. She said that she felt a responsibility to honor the deceased politically and spiritually.

“In my tradition, you offer things that your loved one who passed away would want, whether it’s honey or tobacco or things like that,” she said, referring to the creation of an “ancestor altar,” which is sometimes practiced in African cultures. “It’s so important, not just for us to be in direct relationship to our people who’ve passed but also for them to know we’ve remembered them. I believe so many of them work through us.”

The site Crescent City Culture advises,“At its core, hoodoo is a practice of ancestral veneration. The honoring and even worshiping of ancestors is practiced around the world. Many African religions have a foundation in the belief that one’s ancestors play an active role in the life of the living even after death. The spirits of the dead are invited in the household so that they may influence the family and provide blessings and protection.”

“Why would we not honor the people who have been stolen from us and are asking for us to fight for them?” Cullors asked. “They want us to remember them because … they know what it takes for them to be remembered.”

She explained that even in using hashtags people are “literally almost resurrecting the spirit so they can work through us to get the work … done.”

Abdullah explained that whenever there is word of a African American person losing their life, likely in relation to law enforcement incidents, they go out and “pray [and] pour libation.” Libation is an act that is defined as “a ritual pouring of a liquid as an offering to a god or spirit, or in memory of those who have ‘passed on.’”

As previously reported, in 2018, Abdullah poured libation and summoned the spirits of a number of deceased African American leaders during an event at Hollywood United Methodist Church. She instructed those gathered to declare “ashe” as she made declarations and poured bottled water into a plant.

According to the website yagbeonilu.com, “ashe” or “ase” means “so be it,” and is an “African philosophical concept through which the Yoruba of Nigeria conceive the power to make things happen and produce change.”

“Ashe among the Yoruba is associated with the very force which is life and brings them into being in the universe. … t is also associated with the power of speech as can be seen in its meaning of command, ordain and law,” the site explains, stating that the Yoruba believe that men possess the power to “speak things into existence.”

“We summon those spirits that are still with us. We summon those people whose bodies have been stolen, but whose souls are still here,” Abdullah said. “We call on Wakiesha Wilson. We call on George Jackson … Eric Garner …”

“And all of those whose bodies have been stolen: We ask that you be with us. We ask that you work through us. We ask that we do righteous work on your behalf,” she continued in speaking to the the dead.

“It took me almost a year for me to realize that this movement is much more than a racial and social justice movement. At its core, it’s a spiritual movement because we are literally standing on spilled blood,” Abdullah said during her recent interview with Cullors, adding that she knows the BLM co-founder has viewed the issue as spiritual for some time.

“When we first started, I remember us going to the ocean and doing these rituals and really feeding our spirit,” she outlined.

Cullors also explained that she considered whether there was room in the BLM movement for spirituality, and said that she “realized there was a need for protection as we started to be more targeted.”
“I feel like so many leaders and so many organizers are deeply engaged in a pretty important spiritual practice,” she said of BLM’s work. Cullors cited an article published by the Berkley Center for Religion, Peace and World Affairs entitled “The Fight for Black Lives Is a Spiritual Movement.”

“The movement for Black lives … infuses a syncretic blend of African and indigenous cultures’ spiritual practices and beliefs, embracing ancestor worship; Ifa-based ritual such as chanting, dancing, and summoning deities; and healing practices such as acupuncture, reiki, therapeutic massage, and plant medicine in much of its work, including protest,” the article states in part.

View the interview in full here.

As previously reported, Black Lives Matter was formed by Cullors, Alicia Garza and Opal Tometi in 2013 in response to the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of teenager Trayvon Martin. Cullors is a self-described “queer;” Garza identifies as lesbian; and Tometi is a self-described feminist.

“While the tragic deaths of Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown were catalysts for the emergence of the BLM movement,” the bio for Garza, states, “in order to truly understand how devastating and widespread this type of violence is in Black America, we must view this epidemic through a lens of race, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity.”

During an interview in 2015, Cullors acknowledged that the group is led by “trained Marxists” and talked about the group’s aim to include homosexual and transgender African Americans.

“It was important for us as Black women, two of which are queer, to actually talk about the totality of Black life,” she said during the interview with Jared Ball of “I Mix What I Like” on Real News Network. “And that Black cis[gender] men are not the sum of Black people, but rather all Black people being the totality of Black people …”

Cullors added that the group’s definition of totality would include “Black trans[gender] folk,” those who have been incarcerated or are currently behind bars, and those with disabilities.

“We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead,” the BLM site’s “What We Believe” page also outlines. “We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.”

“We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered,” it continues. “We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).”

Duane Berke

Re: Black Lives Matter Officials Embrace Spirits, Ancestral Worship

Post by Duane Berke »

Free Stuff Matters. These looters are obviously very spiritual.

https://youtu.be/KKYpS_Ro13U
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

Yes they are spiritual. They are infested with diabolical spirits. All the ancestral crap they are doing opens the door to the diabolic. And the rest are just Satan’s useless idiots.
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Just when you think you're having a nice dinner with friends...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1e7Tgr ... e=youtu.be

Wrecking Stuff Matters.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

Rochester,o Rochester....
Yes boss?

BLM would not be received as sheepishly in some parts of the South.

When does the insanity end? Or does it?
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

What I'm wondering is when do the spam postings stop? We are getting buried in ads for sneakers and the likes.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

On a more serious note, I sense big trouble ahead. A lot of whites are probably fed up with this constant whining about racism that is largely imaginary. Police brutality is not something that just happened and it's not something that only applies to racial minorities. I generally support law enforcement, they have a very tough job. Sometimes you get people in there who get very hot under the collar and over-react in various situations. They're human, I've done it in social work situations too, at some point when a-holes keep on yanking your chain, unless you're Gandhi or Jesus Christ, you're probably going to react.

This is generally speaking what lies behind what is really a rather small number of incidents (think of how many daily interactions there must be between police and black people in the USA, my guess would be 50,000 to 100,000). So we have this little list of perhaps 10-20 celebrated incidents, each with its own dynamics and some may be more real than others. Whatever. It does not mean the country as a whole is a racist society. Blacks have been given plenty of chances. Some have taken them and done very well for themselves. Tiger Woods, Colin Powell, Condaleeza Rice, Oprah Winfrey, and quite a few others I could name, they hardly seem like victims of racism to me.

The problem (as I'm sure most people here would know anyway) is the race baiters and hustlers who egg on the dumber quarter (tenth?) of the black population and their associated liberal/progressive co-enablers, convince them that they live in a racist country because goodies do not fall from the sky as they imagine happened in the rich white suburbs (where people finished school and got paying jobs and stayed at home to raise their families). So because not everyone can be an NBA millionaire (there's only so many basketball teams that can attract a TV audience), they take it out on us for no rational reason at all. It's not our fault. Blacks who play by widely accepted social norms (across many different racial groups) tend to do fine. Those who know this don't want to Uncle Tom themselves so they just keep quiet about it.

And this same argument applies in perhaps lesser strength to other so-called racist situations in North America. I've met a few native people (first nations) with a bit of an attitude too, like every wonderful thing should come their way just because. Well life doesn't work that way. Nor did it work that way before we arrived in North America. I don't see too many people returning to the pre-contact lifestyle, they may affect certain elements of it (we all enjoy camping for short times) but full-on hunter gatherer? I don't think so, if you've ever met an urban Indian mouthpiece (as I have several times) you'll know they are all headdress and no caribou.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

“All headdress and no caribou”

Very good. Very very good. Excellent even!

That is one great turn of phrase :))

Reminds of the Trudeau joke, when he given an honorary native name.

“Why do you call him Sitting Eagle?”

“Because he cannot fly as he is so full of
sh*t”

(Or something to that effect)

:D
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

How do you like all turban and no cranium?

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

There was a company in Squamish BC called Ill Eagle Deliveries, not sure how they made out.

(since that looks hard to read, ILL EAGLE)

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

PeterODonnell wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:46 pm How do you like all turban and no cranium?
Hee hee. I assume the pull start doesn’t work. ;)
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

PeterODonnell wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:47 pm There was a company in Squamish BC called Ill Eagle Deliveries, not sure how they made out.

(since that looks hard to read, ILL EAGLE)
A marketing blunder perhaps, albeit a funny one.

I wonder if BC has a Spirit Bear liquor store?
Their prices are nothing to wine about. #-o
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

I guess so, the Spirit Bear should be the mascot of the B.C. Conservative Party, you know they exist, you know they are all white, but you never see one.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Speaking of "spiritual", I've observed ********* women in flowing cult regalia and hijab essentially going full on burka when the covid mask is added. I bet they continue with masks after a vaccine. It makes them more "spiritually complete" chattel and property owned by men.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

PeterODonnell wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:02 am I guess so, the Spirit Bear should be the mascot of the B.C. Conservative Party, you know they exist, you know they are all white, but you never see one.
:)) :)) :))

I will definitely be remembering this one.

The Kermodes/Spirit bear is BC’s official mammal, so the metaphor works!

The eastern corridor of Golden/Radium/Invermere
is still likely the heavily Alberta visited area, but no Kermodes out there. Could explain a lot particularly politically, or I could off like bad blue cheese.
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

Duane Berke wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:12 pm Speaking of "spiritual", I've observed ********* women in flowing cult regalia and hijab essentially going full on burka when the covid mask is added. I bet they continue with masks after a vaccine. It makes them more "spiritually complete" chattel and property owned by men.
It is a depressing sight to see.

A surreal sight was walking in Earl’s and seeing fairly pretty young ladies in their at times short dresses but having a black face diaper on their faces. Burkafication?

Despite the kindness of friend’s who take me out to eat, eating in restaurants these days is depressing.
On top of everything else that brings down the spirit.
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

99pct

Post by 99pct »

What next? Placing ancestral boiled skulls on poles in the street?

John Feldsted

Post by John Feldsted »

It is incredibly irritating to have politicians harping on “equality” when they spend their time splintering our society into dozens of fragments, each designed to garner a few votes.

Every program, federal and provincial, aimed at providing a grant, subsidy or tax break to a particular group is a blow against equality. Our society is dying from the continual rain of blows.

Protesting inequality in a society deliberately unequal is pathetic, predictable and useless. The problems are resolvable but not under our present form of governance.

We have to strike every government program that does not meet a Charter s 15 test from the books. In most cases, there is no sound reason for the program. It would still allow for programs to assist people disadvantaged by disability, for example, but exclude programs aimed at families with children.

We cannot eliminate discrimination with discriminatory governments.

ARFras

Post by ARFras »

John, I heartily agree with your comments relating to government grants to special interest groups. There needs to be criteria that must be followed to avoid pitting one group against another. The government must be held to those guidelines and by doing so there would be a lot more positive business done for the benefit of all taxpayers!