Pierre Poilievre won't enter Conservative leadership race

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Pierre Poilievre won't enter Conservative leadership race

Post by Connie Fournier »

"Over the last several weeks, I have been building a team and support for a possible run for the Conservative leadership. In criss-crossing the country, I have been overwhelmed with the favourable response," he wrote on Facebook.

"I knew it would be hard on my family life to do this. But I did not realize how hard. It is harder still because I had just spent the earlier 18 months campaigning furiously to win back my seat in the recent federal election, during which I mostly missed the first year of our baby's life."

"As such, my heart is not fully engaged in this leadership race. Without being all in, I cannot be in at all. So I have decided not to seek the leadership of the party at this time."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilie ... -1.5438294

WestViking

Re: Pierre Poilievre won't enter Conservative leadership race

Post by WestViking »

Politics has a way of consuming people aand spitting our broken families. Poilievere and Ambrose are wise enough to understand the threat. My hat is off to them both for services rendered and to Pierre for work he will continue to do well.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Post by Connie Fournier »

He was already being pressured to step back from his principles. I am sure he realized that it was only going to get worse.

Honestly, with the state of the party right now, I think it is going to be really hard to get an open, fair leadership election out of them, anyway. It pains me to say that, but I think Poilievere would have been wasting his time, effort and money has he stayed in the race.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

The cynic in me says, whenever any man cites "family obligations" as a reason for not seeking leadership, it's because there's some chick who he suspects will come out with nasty allegations at an inopportune time.

With Rona, it's probably just that she's too proud to lose to a chump like Peter Mackay.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

To expand on point (b) a little, the whole leadership proposition seems to be this -- the Hidden Hand has called forth Peter Mackay from where he rested out of sight, and anyone who wants to be cannon fodder for a fake "campaign" and finish second for ego boosting purposes is welcome, but be aware that the media will subject you to the full "not a person of modern views" trial by innuendo, and anything you might have said about gays in 1962 or whenever will be fully discussed without your chance to offer any context, like maybe back then you were more interested in going to heaven than being patted on the back by a CBC journalist. Some of us still have that same preference.