I joined and I still support the concept ...

PeterODonnell

I joined and I still support the concept ...

Post by PeterODonnell »

... but it will be important for this new party to establish a wider base of support and to move on from the current operational model which seems to be, whatever Max says is our policy.

Now it just happens that I tend to agree with Max Bernier on most things he has discussed in his public utterances. I don't know if he is that well positioned to respond to western alienation. He hasn't taken some wrong positions necessarily, but at the very least the party could use an upgraded leadership structure where there might be for example a western or English speaking lieutenant in support of Max who is great in French but a bit slow on the cut and thrust when he debates in English.

I certainly think he did all he could in the election against a firestorm of idiot criticism from all sides. A lesser man would have cracked and told some of those idiots where to go. He is a classy guy, maybe too classy for Canadian politics which has become a sort of dumping ground for one-dimensional dysfunctionals.

So I look forward to phase two of this project. I never thought we were going to do much better than 2% in the election because most CPC supporters have not totally given up yet and were not prepared to risk a vote split allowing Trudeau to form an unsupported majority government. But surely by now even in the staunchest Alberta ridings, there must be some recognition that it's only downhill from here on with the likes of eastern neo-liberal Peter Mackay in charge of their political destiny. How sincere is his support for western Canada in a time of crisis, with the left after the very blood and soul of our economic well-being? Probably lukewarm and only extending to getting himself to the top job.

Max Bernier also is not an ideal match for these political challenges but at least I would find his declarations of support to be more sincere, and if he does form a more broadly based leadership with more than cut-out figures as candidates, then he might make some gains. There will have to be a Team Bernier approach with some credible people forming the team, then perhaps the party will take off like Reform did after a tentative start around 1988. If it remains just a Max Bernier fan club, it will stay stuck at about 1-2 per cent and die off.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Re: I joined and I still support the concept ...

Post by Connie Fournier »

I keep hearing these rumours that the PPC is deliberately not setting up everything they need (like a constitution) because Maxime Bernier is planning to rejoin the CPC when the time is right.

Maybe the grassroots need to take on that project.

PeterODonnell

Re: I joined and I still support the concept ...

Post by PeterODonnell »

A PPC without Max would be a pretty steep hill to climb, most of us who joined have no large amounts of money or influential friends and we are usually residents of smaller places or rural Canada. I wouldn't say it would be totally impossible to build a party without Max there, but as to whether he would actually join the CPC, can't imagine that Mackay would want him in the caucus or that he would tolerate being an underling to Peter Mackay, can you? And who else is going to win that party's leadership? If somehow Max entered and won the leadership, then I suppose the CPC and PPC could merge, but I would want to wait and see what actually emerged from the collision, after being burned by the last merger and its false promises.