In Letter, Peter MacKay Says “Pride Parades Are Important”

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

In Letter, Peter MacKay Says “Pride Parades Are Important”

Post by Connie Fournier »

Conservative leadership candidate Peter MacKay has published a letter on social media in which he says “Pride parades are important.”

MacKay also announced that, whether he’s Conservative leader or not, he will march in the June 28th parade.

https://www.spencerfernando.com/2020/01 ... important/

I don't care if a politician goes to a pride parade or not.

But, I do care about freedom of association. We are not free if we don't have the absolute right to stay at home if we don't want to attend a pride parade. This also applies to politicians.

The are Christians being persecuted across the world, too, but I would never demand that a politician show up at a Christian march, or attend my church, to show solidarity.

Of course it is great when politicians show up to events to connect with their constituents, but they can connect with those same constituents in other, more personal ways, too. The latest trend of bullying people out of their freedom of association is dangerous, and it has to stop.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Re: In Letter, Peter MacKay Says “Pride Parades Are Important”

Post by Connie Fournier »

From the Charter:

Section 2(d) –  Freedom of association

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

d. freedom of association

(ii) Freedom from compelled association

Section 2(d) encompasses what has been called a “negative aspect”, a “freedom not to associate” or a “freedom from compelled (or ‘forced’) association”. 

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/r ... art2d.html

PeterODonnell

Re: In Letter, Peter MacKay Says “Pride Parades Are Important”

Post by PeterODonnell »

Pride parades are important alright, the squirt gun industry would collapse without them.