Who would make the best CPC leader, and why?

I want this person to win the CPC leadership race:

You may select 1 option

View results

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Who would make the best CPC leader, and why?

Post by Connie Fournier »

Leave your comments below.

I tried to list all of the declared and possible candidates, but there are a lot of them I don't even know! Anyway, if your choice is not listed, let me know and I will add them.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Re: Who would make the best CPC leader, and why?

This list is so uninspiring that nobody has even bothered to vote. :|
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

For me, it's Headwound Harry or the ghost of Arthur Meighen. Only they can deliver the quirky combination of libertarian free speech, surprise enforcement of widely feared Biblical doctrines, and occasional invasions of horrible countries, that I seek from a Conservative regime. There's this guy Max Bernier ...

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Do all those people actually exist? Outside of Alberta? Because the party didn't get that many votes in October, did they?

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

I must admit that a House of Commons shouting match between Jaghmeet Singh and Bobby Singh might be interesting. Would we learn things from the colour of their turbans on any given day? It's like mood rings that you don't have to sneak a peek at.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Can't vote twice, but I suppose it might as well be O'Toole since they are all tools. I like accurate labelling in the marketplace.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Haha! Well, at least we have one vote now!

I made the poll, and I can't even decide. I am leaning toward "someone else", but that would imply that I think any particular person could turn things around, and I don't know if that is even possible at this point.

And, "a pox on all their houses" seems harsh, in retrospect. :-D

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

I've heard more than once locally of Rona Ambrose quietly looking at it. Very interesting.

I worked the bi-election in Parkland-Sturgeon when she stepped away. Very popular here.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Free Markets

Post by Free Markets »

Let's hope Rona enters the race but very hard to believe it will happen given her firm no.

carfix2000ca

Post by carfix2000ca »

The beat leader would be Harper. But I don’t know if he would win because liberals have smeared him.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Also he is sort of like Mackay without the faint odour of codfish.

ianv

Post by ianv »

This question has several other questions contained in it. Best in what way? Best chance of getting elected PM? Actually promote Conservative policy while in power? Willing to try to fix the obvious East/west problem? Stand up for Canada against Globalism? Until those of us unwilling to like CoolAid can actually reach a consensus on what our priority should be, the fragmentation currently stagnating the CPC will continue to lead to electoral failure.

ianv

Post by ianv »

I should point out, I've been a Conservative longer than I should admit, and have worked campaigns since Joe Who first ran. I was a Bernier guy until he started his own sandbox, and I quickly realized he was incapable or running anything more complicated that locating portable toilets on a job site. I actually am a former politician, having served two terms at a regional level, so I understand the actual sausage making, and know that it takes far more than a few soundbites to be successful at getting things done.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

The party should be more mindful of the real need for change in outlook, the top-down approach has never worked that well over many years and things need to be shaken up, otherwise it will just be same old same old, a bend-over form of conservatism that is just a prop for endless Liberal governments. The elitist attitude is always that only the elites "really understand" what to do and the average Joe needs a lot of minding because he or she not too bright, but look where this has led us in the past, an endless cycle of broken promises, ignored priorities, and failures to dig in and stand our ground in critical situations. Hence the desire to move on and support an alternative. I can't see Mackay being an agent of the sort of change we really need, more like he's a front man for globalism sent in to con the rubes and silence all dissent. If there's any show of that after his (inevitable) election as leader, expect a considerable exodus, I would venture the guess one quarter to one third within a year.

Dacre

Post by Dacre »

I think it's pathetic what's going on. I agree there isn't much inspiration here. And the idea that Peter McKay will end up being a coronation is even worse. It makes me wonder if it isn't part of the plan by the elites to have a globalist in the leadership. If he wins or loses it's still a win for globalism. And for the globalists that's all they want. I agree with Peter ODonnell. I don't see this as any conspiracy theory. I think we're past that idea. It's real.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Globalism is a real problem. We tried fighting it from inside the CPC, and got nowhere. I honestly don't know what we do next.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

I guess the future course of action needs to be building a strong alternative (in the PPC would be the first choice but mindful of the potential for that too to become compromised), and then ensuring that the strong alternative remains free from the usual inevitable erosion through co-opting from outside forces later on. That's what happened to the Reform-Alliance project over time, People thought they were entering a new and final phase in 2004 and then found they had been dragged back to square one instead. As you know.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I think a lot rides on who wins this leadership race. If it is MacKay, or another red tory, I think there will be momentum to grow the PPC (or another option).

We (FD) would be in a good position to help grow that if the government doesn't deny us a website license. :D

SaintNobody

Post by SaintNobody »

Hi, this is SUZANNE here.

I didn't vote. Nobody really gets me going. I voted for Brad Trost as my number one pick last time. I see no one who really makes me want to take out a membership and vote for them.

Maxime Bernier came out in favour of a ban on third trimester abortion, so that makes him interesting to me. I've also always liked the way he adopts a consistently conservative opinion.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Hi SUZANNE!

I agree with you. The CPC has made it pretty clear that they are not open to social conservatives. Even more in recent days. Maybe it is time to leave?

The PPC spooks me a bit because they haven't done a lot of the official party organization stuff (constitution etc). Some people I know think that this is a sign Max is just waiting to re-join the CPC at some point.

But, I am still interested.

MillenialCatGuardian

Post by MillenialCatGuardian »

For me, it would be my cat Zeus. He wouldn't cave to environmental extremist groups and he would have a favourable approach to free market economic policies and small government since he is a cat and will just stick his nose up at the leftist groups and walk away with his butt in their general direction . Cats are also incapable of corruption and if lobbyists show up, he will be uninterested and just sit there and lick himself in front of the lobbyist. If he needs to cough up a hairball, he will do so in the paths of liberals and globalists. He will purr on the laps of conservatives and fancy feast cat food, cat nip, and squeaky mouse toys and balls are way less expensive than the meals politicians have charged to taxpayers. The name Zeus also has more power and command attached to it than Justin Trudeau. Zeus is a black and white long hair so he will be appealing to all race and gender identities. Zeus is Albertan and will make the provinces sort out their differences and come to a solution because all he can do is meow. Zeus may be what Canada kneads. LOL But kidding aside, I would say none of the above. None of the candidates appeal to me. We need someone new and fresh, who hasnt been in politics for years and make it extremely hard for the left to dig up dirt on them. They have to be a fiscal libertarian conservative and they have to want to stop all the globalist pandering and not bow down to the foreign funded environmentalists. We need to fix our own backyard before we hand everything off to the neighbours while letting everyone and anything slip through our borders. We need to stop buying foreign oil and we need to build more pipelines and refineries. We also need to scrap the carbon tax.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Zeus for PM!!

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

It would be a cat-astrophe if some of these other parties ever got into government. So having a cat as leader might make sense.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I keep expecting Harper to throw his hat in the ring.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Connie Fournier wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:49 am
This list is so uninspiring that nobody has even bothered to vote. :|
Being Conservative is like eating plain toast everyday for a year and then being offered more as a fresh choice.

Free Markets

Post by Free Markets »

Supporting O'Toole never seemed an option but if he can be trusted to implement his CBC policy, it might be worth all the downsides that come with him.
https://www.westernstandardonline.com/2 ... f-elected/

ianv

Post by ianv »

It's beginning to look like the only choices are O'Toole or the highway.... By the way, if you have a spare $20., donate it to the NDP. Until the NDP have money in the bank, they will support anything the Turd does rather than risk an election.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

In Canada, I think you should throw a toque in the ring, not a hat.

Just sayin ...

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

A friend called me tonight and she was so impressed with Leslyn Lewis that she bought a CPC membership to vote for her. Anyone have any thoughts on her?