Worries grow that quarantine in China not enough to stem increasingly virulent coronavirus

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Worries grow that quarantine in China not enough to stem increasingly virulent coronavirus

Post by Connie Fournier »

Even as China takes more stringent measures to limit the movement of the vast country’s population during the biggest travel period of the year, there are increasing fears that the quarantine will not be enough to stop the spread of the new coronavirus, which so far has infected at least 2,800 people in China and killed 81.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/co ... story.html
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

WestViking

Re: Worries grow that quarantine in China not enough to stem increasingly virulent coronavirus

Post by WestViking »

This puts the climate change hysteria in perspective. The virus is a real threat to the world. We need all hands on deck to deal with new and mutating viruses.

Assurances from our health authorities that we face "minimal risk" is not comforting. We will not be minimally dead if we contact the virus. We need the scientists and labs in developed nations to create vaccines to combat these viruses. The money squandered on climate change is misspent.

Climate change is real and ongoing. The idea that we can control climate change by giving money to governments and restricting our economy (and standards of living) is the greatest fraud ever perpetrated. When world nation can't even avoid conflicts, genocide and wars, they are equally incapable of dealing with viral outbreaks or climate change.

Leave us the hack alone and let us deal with real crises as they occur.

Rerro

Re: Worries grow that quarantine in China not enough to stem increasingly virulent coronavirus

Post by Rerro »

I was in port next to my property in Cyprus https://tranio.com/cyprus/ and heard how sailors are talking about a cruise ship full of people with this virus in one of the ports in Japan... This thing is real and serious.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I definitely wouldn't get on a cruise ship right now!

I don't know who to believe anymore.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Free Markets

Post by Free Markets »

There are a lot of rumors flying around that the death toll from the coronavirus is much higher than reported and the Chinese government is covering it up. I read a story by a statistician who specializes in disease analysis who estimates the toll is much higher but probably not because of a cover-up.

Canada like most countries reports multiple causes of death. If a person with a heart problem gets the virus which pushes him over the edge, the death certificate records death from coronavirus and heart failure. The death is double counted, coronavirus and heart disease, which introduces error in the macro statistics, but does provide an honest count of virus deaths.

China has always recorded only one cause of death. This person's death certificate would show heart failure. No doubt many, particularly the elderly, have succumbed to the virus but it is recorded as some other cause.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I think staying home a lot is a good plan. :D

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

I ride transit in the winter. My downtown routes now exclude the 134 and 140, otherwise referred to as "Orient Express" through Chinatown. I've often been the only caucasian on the bus while they all yell at the top of their lungs in giberish. WTF?

China has to be addressed. General MacArthur was right. I've had enough of their shit polluting the world.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Why are we allowing ANY travellers from China into the western hemisphere at this point?
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I wish we could get some accurate information.

Some are saying this will be far less of a problem than the seasonal flu. Others are saying that China is covering up mass carnage, and burning so many bodies that they can see a noticeable amount of gas from it.

I suspect the reality is somewhere in between. But, yeah. I would be cancelling flights to and from China at this point.

Rerro

Post by Rerro »

This virus is really dangerous, it spreads too fast. Good that some countries starting to stop flights to China and some even close borders. I know that a lot of Chinese people have houses in Cannes and I don't know if they are able to visit it this summer due to this issue in China.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Meanwhile in China...
Attachments
masks.jpg
masks.jpg (59.47 KiB) Viewed 610 times

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

The latest thing is toilet paper mayhem. Many stores are sold out. I saw a woman at Sobey's last night with 12 packs of Purex - each having 12 rolls. All reports are this is lunacy. These people in a worst-case scenario will starve to death surrounded by mountains of toilet paper. The thing has overrun the net with memes mocking them.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I think the reaction to this thing is becoming more dangerous than the virus, itself!

We are taking Vitamin C and D, and we have elderberry syrup on hand (I just beat a cold in two days with that stuff).

My gut feeling is that this is going to die down by the end of flu season. That is just my hunch, though.

Free Markets

Post by Free Markets »

I've stocked up on my favorite single malt and am now ready for whatever nature throws my way.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I love how we were told yesterday that there were be a lot of tests coming back today from the US, so we could expect a sudden upsurge in cases.

Today, that is exactly what happened...and the same media is hysterical.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

We are not able to see the intel that our governments no doubt have about this, and a lot of clues might suggest this is no accident, but some kind of 21st century warfare going on. The timing is very suspicious, don't you think? On several different levels, this puts Trump's re-election in jeopardy. The economy could tank, he could look either too weak or too intrusive, and the disease itself seems to target the elderly. As you know, I wrote that book and this is not a million miles away from the plot line there, although the weapons of choice seem to be medical rather than ballistic.

I don't trust what I am being told. Part of me says, "this is probably the usual overblown hype, nothing much will happen." But I am moving away from that default position towards a concern that we are being targeted and that Italy has already figured out the plot, being (unwittingly) part of the forward chain as Europe's biggest trading partner of U Know Hu.

Then there's Iran somehow mixed up in this too. Makes you wonder.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Another interesting tidbit. Major disease outbreaks seem to coincide with US election years. This from Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKBN20S2X0

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Well there was 1918, I guess that was more to do with soldiers returning from the war than anything else. If we get something on that scale, where a hundred million died (when the global population was maybe 2 billion), this will get very serious.

So far it is somewhere between serious and meh. No sign of it around where I live (yet). Of course that's a cave in a remote mountain wilderness so not too surprising. Bears still hibernating, just a few squirrels on the move at this point.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

I see Sophie has tested positive. Too many long, foreign trips to "exotic" places I imagine. Still, how convenient for the adolescent hubby to remove himself from the public, the media and any semblance of a job.