Should you apologize to the online mob?

Should we make public apologies for political speech?

You may select 1 option

View results

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Should you apologize to the online mob?

Post by Connie Fournier »

After Stockwell Day gave a sincere and unreserved apology on Twitter yesterday, he was viciously attacked and called a "neo-fascist".

Should we, in the future, just refuse to issue public apologies since it is never enough, and it just invites abuse?

Say what you will about Donald Trump, I think one of the things that people like about him is that he stands by what he says and he won't lay down and let the vultures pick his bones every time they decide he said something wrong.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

DA_Champion

Re: Should you apologize to the online mob?

Post by DA_Champion »

IMO, people should give apologies if they mean it to the people whom they aggrieved. A genuine apology for something non-trivial includes at least some of an explanation for what led to the action, and plans to prevent the actions from being repeated in the future.

Though I approve of public apologies, I see how they are often meaningless. What I care about more are plans to fix the underlying problem, and then seeing those plans implemented, then the actual act of apology.

The act of a public figure apologizing is necessarily at least in part performative. The advantage of apologizing publicly is that they may have harmed the public, and that it can help establish a social norm.

I'm speaking in general. I'm out of touch with Canadian politics, so I don't actually know what Stockwell Day did.
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA. Disaffected progressive, here for interesting conversations.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I see the value in offering sincere private apologies to people who tell you have offended them.

Public apologies (on social media, anyway), only serve as an excuse for people who hate you for political reasons to pile on and rip you to pieces.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I don't think I would be a good pollster because I always give away my own opinion in the phrasing. :))

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

I hadn't heard about Stockwell Day's remarks or the furore they caused, but I wish he hadn't apologized.

If he's apologiziing for saying most Canadians are not racist, that's a very legitimate opinion and one that I would share. I am sick and tired of the never-ending whining of some minority spokespersons looking for ever more humiliating expressions of guilt about something that probably doesn't even exist.

He should have forced people to respond rather than resigning from boards and apologizing. As for Telus saying that his comments don't reflect their values, so then what are their values, that they have given telephones to a bunch of racists?

Screw you Telus.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Connie, I wouldn't be a particularly good pollster either.

Basically I would be asking

are you an idiot or a sensible person like me?

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

PeterODonnell wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:09 pm Connie, I wouldn't be a particularly good pollster either.

Basically I would be asking

are you an idiot or a sensible person like me?
Haha! I hear you!

angel9018

Post by angel9018 »

"He should have forced people to respond rather than resigning from boards and apologizing. As for Telus saying that his comments don't reflect their values, so then what are their values, that they have given telephones to a bunch of racists?"

My thoughts as well. Conservative people have to stand by their convictions, not cave in every time (and it WILL happen) that the left attacks you for being honest.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

It is a sad thing to see somebody grovel with an apology when you know they haven't really changed their mind, they said what they really thought the first time and still think it today, but they are sorry it had consequences I guess.

Anyway, some of this dialogue makes no sense, we have visible minorities in very important political posts chirping about how bad systemic racism is, so how is it that they hold these positions? It makes no sense. Do they think white people have perfect lives where nobody faces obstacles, criticism, unfairness of various kinds? Because that's not the case at all.

I have bad news for visible minorities, you already are equal. Life sucks in general for everybody.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

The latest apologizers are Drew Brees (the Saints q.b.) and his wife Tiffany Brees. He had been an opponent of the movement to take a knee during the national anthem at NFL games.

Even recently he restated his opposition. Then the league came out and changed their stand, saying they now supported players in their struggle against police brutality. Fine, whatever, but why apologize for a position that had its own validity, that taking the knee was disrespectful of the flag and the freedoms of the nation for which it stands, and protesting police brutality can be done in many other ways than that.

Apparently they have gone full-grovel with this apology.

Our society is rapidly becoming more communist in its philosophy, "the party" can be defined as the leftist political and media establishment, and they are increasingly vocal in demanding total adherence to their positions on many subjects, not tolerating any dissent or discussion. They don't have the full force of law behind them as communist parties would have in a dictatorship, but social conditions are beginning to approximate that more and more anyway. I should know, having received from a Canadian court the message that it is improper to question the influence of the left (but I did anyway).

The end game of all this is a Chinese style regime where "social credit" (not the kind that used to govern BC and Alberta) determines the mobility and privileges of a citizen. If you don't earn social credit, or you lose some, you become a second- or third-class citizen with reduced mobility and opportunity. We have no shortage of candidates willing to impose social credit on us, as we know, the "Karen" phenomenon being the latest manifestation of the scold mentality.

And I thought growing up with a Jewish mother was bad. Now everyone has a million of them.

RememberPeleliu

Post by RememberPeleliu »

If Drew Brees is worried that his teammates won't have his back, should resign rather than apologize for so clearly speaking the simple truth.

As Peter O'Donnell points out, if you are a dupe for the cultural marxists and bow before Mao then by all means apologize.

If you are cow towed by the ethnic gnostics then by all means apologize (reference video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip3nV6S_fYU

If you would like to stand tall for the truth, then unapologetically say it like Father James Altman (reference video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK5XaowbeHQ
Venimus Vidimus Deus Vicit

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

One need only watch a single episode of Live-PD to see the dismantling of the USA. If I have someone prowling my yard around the patio door at 3 am I want the police there with weapons drawn in numbers right now. The alternative is I myself am heavily armed like Americans and shoot them when I don't know all the facts or who they are.

Live-PD doesn't lie. The silly marches are a waste of time. Everyone knows what the issue is and it's primarily not white, caucasian Americans.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi
Harley-Davidson XL1200CX Roadster. Black Bikes Matter.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Stop addressing me or my ancestors as the problem. We're far from it.

What one might refer to as racism another might refer to as laziness and addiction and/or mental illness.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

John Feldsted

Post by John Feldsted »

Leftists own the internet. They cannot debate issues, so they turn to character assassination and tell themselves they are doing the right thing. I am amazed how amoral people can be so confidently self-righteous. I suppose that is the benefit of a lack of ethics.

Apologizing to a cackle of hyenas is a waste of time and energy. The very worst we can do to the online mob is to ignore their existence. That is the equivalent of keeping an idiot in suspense.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

18 homicides in Chicago last weekend. That broke a 60 year old record. The three day number was 26 which eclipsed a century. These are blacks killing blacks on the south side. The stats prove it. I didn't sell them meth or crack. I didn't have 3 babies by 19 when I couldn't afford any and had no job or means of supporting even myself. This deflection is offensive to me.

Anyone whose been to Chicago as I have may times knows it's a segregated city. The north side is white and the south side is black. It's understood. It's quite common throughout the USA. San Francisco and the west side of the SF bay is white while Oakland and the east side of the bay is black. The crime numbers bear regional distribution out. Blacks killing blacks. Blacks perpetrating crimes against blacks. When the bullets fly and police are called it's suddenly their fault.

Nice try turning it on me. FAIL.