My name is Connie and I'm a COVIDIOT

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

My name is Connie and I'm a COVIDIOT

Post by Connie Fournier »

Apparently.

Not because I won't wear a mask...but, because they don't like the masks I bought.

I posted the pictures below on Facebook, and it has been determined by the lynch mob that I need to be canceled...or something.

So, I added a link to FD. :-D

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... 6801116837

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... ef=m_notif
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Icbones

Re: My name is Connie and I'm a COVIDIOT

Post by Icbones »

Healthcare worker here. CV19 is way overblown. Our ICU has not had a CV19 patient for 3 weeks now.

How long had this version of FD been up? I was a member of the old site.

Ratz.ca

Post by Ratz.ca »

Have no fear Connie. With The Lords help we'll be okay and unfortunately they will not be.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Icbones wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:04 am
Restarted in January! Welcome back!
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Ratz.ca wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:32 am
Have no fear Connie. With The Lords help we'll be okay and unfortunately they will not be.
I am not worried about their namecalling.

I just think this really exposes them. It is not enough to comply with the health order. They must also control your thoughts/speech.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

So are we starting a group therapy session on FD for all of us Covidiots? :))

"Hi Connie. Hi everyone. (waves his paw) My name is Ursus and I am a Covidiot. This is my mask .............

and this is my boomstick.

I aim to misbehave. :D
Da pacem, Domine, in diebus nostris
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Hahaha!!

Free Markets

Post by Free Markets »

Connie Fournier wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:06 am
I posted the pictures below on Facebook, and it has been determined by the lynch mob that I need to be canceled...or something.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... ef=m_notif
This picture is gaining traction. I've seen it on a couple of FB sites.

Winston.J.S.Smith

Post by Winston.J.S.Smith »

Winston.J.S.Smith

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

Winston.J.S.Smith wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:32 pm
I am beginning to think this guy could survive a thermonuclear blast at ground zero. ;)
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

Winston.J.S.Smith

Winston.J.S.Smith

WestViking

Post by WestViking »

So far, Coronavirus has infected 0.2636% of our population
The COVID-19 death rate is 0,0236% of our population
The recovery rate for those infected (including personal care facilities) is 91.77%
Calling coronavirus 'deadly' is media hype.
The first Cronaviry death was in BC March 9.
Over the last 140 days, we averaged 63.46 deaths per day
Over the last 15 days, we have averaged 7.8 deaths per day.
So far in July, we have had an additional 31,523 recoveries. It turns out that Quebec has been under-reporting recoveries for months, That bought down our active cases from 28,021 to 5,556 as of yesterday.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

You would imagine that BC would be a mask wearing paradise but in fact the rates here are quite low, in my town I would estimate 5% with a few businesses requiring them, and one or two with staff wearing them but patrons allowed in without.

The provincial health guru seems rather lukewarm on them, she has said she doesn't expect the BC government to issue any mandatory requirements but she endorses them (never wears one however). This has become a pattern, media and government people advising the wearing of face masks while not wearing face masks. It's a bit of a give-away that they are not viewed as game changers in society. Maybe in certain medical settings, but generally speaking probably the wearing is little protection; however, some people are wearing as a prevention for them spreading as much as they might, as they perhaps think they are capable of spreading. I don't mind that attitude, if they want to wear one, I don't really care. I sure don't want to wear a mask, it just feels like a political compliance exercise more than anything else.

Wearing of masks seems more widespread in other countries than in Canada, or at least western Canada, not sure what the rates look like in Ontario. At recent golf events that I've watched from the US and Britain, quite a few people in the background (organizers, since no fans allowed in) are wearing masks. I've only seen one player with a mask on after finishing a round. But the PGA experience is interesting compared to the wider statistics. They have been rigorously testing everybody participating, and the positives are only around 2%, and of those, only one person was actually ill. Several players have tested positive and the policy now is for them to play in groups or alone. They aren't showing any symptoms and can play golf well enough to make the weekend cuts in several cases.

At his recent tournament, retired legend Jack Nicklaus (80) revealed that he and his wife had come down with the virus in March, he was mildly ill for a week and she had no symptoms.

Away from care facilities and nursing homes, this seems to be a fairly contained sort of medical crisis, BC has seen better than average results because (despite being cursed with dipperitis) the government figured out early that staff should not travel from one care home to another, and banned the practice before the virus really got going. Also we were lucky that March break here was after the travel ban, ergo no spread in from the south. In the Kootenays, the infection rates are very low, we never hear of anyone getting the virus. I did read that post about the sexual advice, actually that never made the news here so the advice went largely unheeded.

May have spotted a typo in the Bible ...perhaps "mark of the beast" was meant to be "mask of the beast." Everything else seems accurate.

I do hope you all stay well and that this episode will soon be over. Part of me wants to see a Biden election win just because I'm curious to see how they climb down from this, before or after the inauguration? I can just imagine a press release around Nov 15 ... "the CDC in a surprise announcement say that the threat of COVID-19 has largely diminished and that social restrictions can soon be lifted." But that might be a bit too obvious, maybe March 15th just to cover their tracks?

Free Markets

Post by Free Markets »

So far Covid has killed about 8900 in Canada in less than six months. If it ends up around 13,000 for 12 months, it will be the country's 3rd to 4th leading cause of death on an annual basis. Not disaster but not insignificant.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en ... 1310039401

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

Icbones wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:04 am
Healthcare worker here. CV19 is way overblown. Our ICU has not had a CV19 patient for 3 weeks now.

So great to hear from a healthcare worker as I have been wondering what they thought. Personally I see the whole thing as one gigantic nothing burger we were sold on as the nightmare virus.

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

WestViking wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:14 am
So far, Coronavirus has infected 0.2636% of our population
The COVID-19 death rate is 0,0236% of our population
The recovery rate for those infected (including personal care facilities) is 91.77%
Calling coronavirus 'deadly' is media hype.
The first Cronaviry death was in BC March 9.
Over the last 140 days, we averaged 63.46 deaths per day
Over the last 15 days, we have averaged 7.8 deaths per day.
So far in July, we have had an additional 31,523 recoveries. It turns out that Quebec has been under-reporting recoveries for months, That bought down our active cases from 28,021 to 5,556 as of yesterday.
I loathe the media. Just their dishonesty has been stunning. The worse though has been CNN hand down. They never once reported deaths when they fell under 1000 per day in the USA. But when we got the recent surge over 1000 they posted "COVID 19 blasts through 1000.!". It is so apparent that Zucker hates Trump and so he has CNN talking up the virus.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

I have suspected from almost the start that governments know, or think they know, something about this virus that they are not sharing with the public. They seem much more afraid of it than the statistics would justify. I realize part of the motivation is political, but I also noticed a sharp change in tone in some cases which indicated perhaps an intel briefing had taken place.

One thing I suspect is that evidence came to light that the virus was engineered and has some sort of dormant long-term chain of effects that may activate (perhaps if we don't pay up?) ... or, there's something like an over-ride of certain other disease blockers, HIV comes to mind because some of the more severe cases seem to be a resurgence of HIV symptoms that used to be worse than they have been recently with better medical options.

There's definitely something going on with this beyond rational analysis, because on that basis alone, we are basically transforming society so a few vulnerable people don't die and so grandpa doesn't get a nasty sore throat.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

I'll reiterate that covid a serious issue down here in the USA, and that the efforts in Canada should be perceived as efforts to prevent it from ending up that way.

1. Covid-2019 is indeed a serious illness, and worse than the flu.

I know, from personal experience, that covid is a serious illness. Two relatives of friends have died. A friend of a friend who was in her 30s and living in NY died of covid. My father's cousin got covid. My mother's sister got covid. My sister and brother in law, who split their time between two hot spots, have had several clients of a range of ages get covid. Two of my friends, also in their 30s, were taken out for three weeks by covid. All of these possible, with the possible exception of the last two, were living in hotspots. The last two I'm not sure about, as they split their time between France (hot spot) and Germany (not a hot spot).

If you area becomes a hot spot, you will be dealing with that as well. This is, in my observation, worse than the flu. Though I know that people in their 30s can die of the flu, I've never heard of it happening to someone I'm connected with, nor have I heard of the flu lasting three weeks. Again, I'm sure it happens, but it must one rarer.

2. The Covid-19-indicuded economic collapse cannot be waived away by the stroke of a legislator's pen, but masks can help.

The issue of economic collapse is independent of governor-ordered closures. The reality is that businesses such as restaurants, bars, movie theaters, yoga studios, apple stores, baseball games, clothing shops, etc tend to operate on very thin margins. Yes, the governors ordering lockdowns will keep people out, but if even 5% or 10% of people don't safe, those business will no longer have the margins sufficient to stay viable. And it's a lot more than 5% or 10% of people. When I get takeout from restaurants, I usually see very few people. Attendance at my yoga studio is down 75%. Movie theaters were on life support and are not going to be viable with a massive reduction in attendance, given their fixed costs such as rent, electricity, payroll, etc.

For people to feel safe -- and people have a right to feel safe given the absolute lack of a social safety net, at-will firing in the USA, and the breakdown of family relations -- they will need for a lot of things to happen. They need the numbers to drop, for the curve to flatline and not to skyrocket like it has in Florida and Texas. They need to see the emergence of better treatments, hopefully vaccines. And they need to see people wearing masks. Only once people feel safe can the economy begin to recover, until then the focus should be on damage limitation. And no, the Trump-Kudlow plan to make restaurant meals 100% tax deductible for corporations is not a good start.

Masks may not be 100% effective but they are not bad. If they were indeed near-useless, and they need deprived your brain of oxygen, surgeons would not be wearing them. When a neurosurgeon operates on you he wears a mask. Are you worried that his brain is lacking oxygen? No. He's getting plenty of air. But if he has an unidentified infection, it's much less likely to reach your insides.

I find them inconvenient as well. I hate them, honestly. But I don't want to infect working-class restaurant workers when I pick up a sandwich, or middle-class nurses when I donate blood.

When you businesses demand that consumers were masks, they're not just doing it to keep the employees safe, though that should be enough. They're doing it so that other customers feel safe enough to enter.

3. Covid-19 may not be as bad as the Black Death, but that's a moot point. It's bad enough.

It is also the case that this is indeed not the Black Death, which wiped out ~40% of the population of the Europe. However, to achieve hypothetical herd immunity we'd need 80% of the population to be infected, and with a 1% mortality rate that would mean 3 million people dead in North America, to say nothing of the millions more who will suffer from post-corona syndrome. There is no plausible outcome where the people are going to accept that. It would be morally wrong. Further, Trump knows that if he pursued, his defeat would be so catastrophic that the Democrats would control enough of congress, the senate, and governor's mansions to re-district the Republican Party into decades of oblivion.

There is also the case that the health care system is extremely, extremely important. It accounts for 18% of US GDP, and that will grow as the population ages and due to the endless corruption of vultures in the pharmaceutical industry, etc. It might as well have an effective workforce. But we have seen medical staff in places like New York, California, Texas, Florida, put in endless hours of overtime, far more than they're used to, and we're starting to get reports of PTSD. As patient numbers exceed hospital capacity, they will end up just not caring for people and watching them die. That will weigh heavily on them, and imperil their effectiveness for decades.

4: What we can do.

I personally do what I can, imperfect as it is. I wash my hands when I enter places, I try to maintain physical distance, I meet fewer people, and I wear a mask. I have made two blood donations and one platelet donation in the past four months -- there's a blood shortage here since it's harder to organize blood drives, and maybe my type-O+ can help people.

I try to spend money on businesses that practice safety. I'm sure that their profits are way down, but we should do we what we can to help. I'm trying to order things listed on Amazon directly from the manufacturers. I pay larger tips than usual.

We can also try and have a modest influence by circulating information on more promising and more credible treatments. For example, serum vitamin D3 levels are strongly linked to covid. In an Indonesian study, they found that those with higher D3 levels were 7-to-10 times more likely to survive. Many of us are missing vitamin D3 now because we're staying indoors, and this effect will be more severe among Hispanic and Black people, who are more affected by this epidemic. Another promising avenue is the BCG vaccine. The BCG vaccine is a mediocre vaccine for tuberculosis, but it seems to be effective as a general immune booster, and there's solid evidence that it may be reducing the damage that covid does. It's something to watch for and there are clinical trials underway.

Avoiding depression is also helpful, though it's harder in this socially distanced context. Try to use more phone calls and zooms when you can. Try to supplement with D3 if you're not going outside, etc. But honestly this last paragraph would take a substantially longer conversation.
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Here is a 3 hour, 4 minute interview of Dr. Rhona Patrick by Joe Rogan. They discuss what people can do to protect themselves from the coronavirus, and the state of ongoing research.

Dr. Patrick is an excellent researcher and an excellent communicator. However, she nevertheless speaks at a high level, as some of these concepts are genuinely complex. Don't feel bad if you need to pause to look up a definition. I certainly didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ZJ8YDOX6g&t=3657s

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

DA_Champion wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:17 am
I'll reiterate that covid a serious issue down here in the USA, and that the efforts in Canada should be perceived as efforts to prevent it from ending up that way.

1. Covid-2019 is indeed a serious illness, and worse than the flu.

I know, from personal experience, that covid is a serious illness. Two relatives of friends have died. A friend of a friend who was in her 30s and living in NY died of covid. My father's cousin got covid. My mother's sister got covid. My sister and brother in law, who split their time between two hot spots, have had several clients of a range of ages get covid. Two of my friends, also in their 30s, were taken out for three weeks by covid. All of these possible, with the possible exception of the last two, were living in hotspots. The last two I'm not sure about, as they split their time between France (hot spot) and Germany (not a hot spot).

If you area becomes a hot spot, you will be dealing with that as well. This is, in my observation, worse than the flu. Though I know that people in their 30s can die of the flu, I've never heard of it happening to someone I'm connected with, nor have I heard of the flu lasting three weeks. Again, I'm sure it happens, but it must one rarer.

2. The Covid-19-indicuded economic collapse cannot be waived away by the stroke of a legislator's pen, but masks can help.

The issue of economic collapse is independent of governor-ordered closures. The reality is that businesses such as restaurants, bars, movie theaters, yoga studios, apple stores, baseball games, clothing shops, etc tend to operate on very thin margins. Yes, the governors ordering lockdowns will keep people out, but if even 5% or 10% of people don't safe, those business will no longer have the margins sufficient to stay viable. And it's a lot more than 5% or 10% of people. When I get takeout from restaurants, I usually see very few people. Attendance at my yoga studio is down 75%. Movie theaters were on life support and are not going to be viable with a massive reduction in attendance, given their fixed costs such as rent, electricity, payroll, etc.

For people to feel safe -- and people have a right to feel safe given the absolute lack of a social safety net, at-will firing in the USA, and the breakdown of family relations -- they will need for a lot of things to happen. They need the numbers to drop, for the curve to flatline and not to skyrocket like it has in Florida and Texas. They need to see the emergence of better treatments, hopefully vaccines. And they need to see people wearing masks. Only once people feel safe can the economy begin to recover, until then the focus should be on damage limitation. And no, the Trump-Kudlow plan to make restaurant meals 100% tax deductible for corporations is not a good start.

Masks may not be 100% effective but they are not bad. If they were indeed near-useless, and they need deprived your brain of oxygen, surgeons would not be wearing them. When a neurosurgeon operates on you he wears a mask. Are you worried that his brain is lacking oxygen? No. He's getting plenty of air. But if he has an unidentified infection, it's much less likely to reach your insides.

I find them inconvenient as well. I hate them, honestly. But I don't want to infect working-class restaurant workers when I pick up a sandwich, or middle-class nurses when I donate blood.

When you businesses demand that consumers were masks, they're not just doing it to keep the employees safe, though that should be enough. They're doing it so that other customers feel safe enough to enter.

3. Covid-19 may not be as bad as the Black Death, but that's a moot point. It's bad enough.

It is also the case that this is indeed not the Black Death, which wiped out ~40% of the population of the Europe. However, to achieve hypothetical herd immunity we'd need 80% of the population to be infected, and with a 1% mortality rate that would mean 3 million people dead in North America, to say nothing of the millions more who will suffer from post-corona syndrome. There is no plausible outcome where the people are going to accept that. It would be morally wrong. Further, Trump knows that if he pursued, his defeat would be so catastrophic that the Democrats would control enough of congress, the senate, and governor's mansions to re-district the Republican Party into decades of oblivion.

There is also the case that the health care system is extremely, extremely important. It accounts for 18% of US GDP, and that will grow as the population ages and due to the endless corruption of vultures in the pharmaceutical industry, etc. It might as well have an effective workforce. But we have seen medical staff in places like New York, California, Texas, Florida, put in endless hours of overtime, far more than they're used to, and we're starting to get reports of PTSD. As patient numbers exceed hospital capacity, they will end up just not caring for people and watching them die. That will weigh heavily on them, and imperil their effectiveness for decades.

4: What we can do.

I personally do what I can, imperfect as it is. I wash my hands when I enter places, I try to maintain physical distance, I meet fewer people, and I wear a mask. I have made two blood donations and one platelet donation in the past four months -- there's a blood shortage here since it's harder to organize blood drives, and maybe my type-O+ can help people.

I try to spend money on businesses that practice safety. I'm sure that their profits are way down, but we should do we what we can to help. I'm trying to order things listed on Amazon directly from the manufacturers. I pay larger tips than usual.

We can also try and have a modest influence by circulating information on more promising and more credible treatments. For example, serum vitamin D3 levels are strongly linked to covid. In an Indonesian study, they found that those with higher D3 levels were 7-to-10 times more likely to survive. Many of us are missing vitamin D3 now because we're staying indoors, and this effect will be more severe among Hispanic and Black people, who are more affected by this epidemic. Another promising avenue is the BCG vaccine. The BCG vaccine is a mediocre vaccine for tuberculosis, but it seems to be effective as a general immune booster, and there's solid evidence that it may be reducing the damage that covid does. It's something to watch for and there are clinical trials underway.

Avoiding depression is also helpful, though it's harder in this socially distanced context. Try to use more phone calls and zooms when you can. Try to supplement with D3 if you're not going outside, etc. But honestly this last paragraph would take a substantially longer conversation.
Is this a cut and paste from a website, or are you saying that you personally DA Champion know so many that have died from COVID 19?

I have to tell you I see it as nothing but a massive nothing burger. 500,000 deaths in a population of 7 billion is a rounding error.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Duke Atriedes wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm
Is this a cut and paste from a website, or are you saying that you personally DA Champion know so many that have died from COVID 19?

I have to tell you I see it as nothing but a massive nothing burger. 500,000 deaths in a population of 7 billion is a rounding error.
I wrote every word.

Every single case that I wrote that I know of, I know of. I also explained why my experiences are different: I happen to know a lot of people living in hot spots such as Montreal, New York, Florida, and France. The United States has had 151,000 deaths from coronavirus and counting. That's not a nothing burger. And it would be a lot higher without a quarantine.

Most of you, who are living in. English-speaking Canada, either know very few or know nobody who has suffered from Covid, you should try and keep it that way. Similarly, of the people that I know in places that are not hot spots, none have been infected with Covid.

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

DA_Champion wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:57 pm
Duke Atriedes wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm

I wrote every word.

Every single case that I wrote that I know of, I know of. I also explained why my experiences are different: I happen to know a lot of people living in hot spots such as Montreal, New York, Florida, and France. The United States has had 151,000 deaths from coronavirus and counting. That's not a nothing burger. And it would be a lot higher without a quarantine.

Most of you, who are living in. English-speaking Canada, either know very few or know nobody who has suffered from Covid, you should try and keep it that way. Similarly, of the people that I know in places that are not hot spots, none have been infected with Covid.
Depends what you mean without the quarantine because I think that is debatable. Some like you say the shut down kept the death rate low but I'm not so sure. Why didn't we just quarantine the sick? And left the economy going? I guess we will disagree on 150,000 being a nothing burger or not.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Duke Atriedes wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:27 pm

Depends what you mean without the quarantine because I think that is debatable. Some like you say the shut down kept the death rate low but I'm not so sure. Why didn't we just quarantine the sick? And left the economy going? I guess we will disagree on 150,000 being a nothing burger or not.
1) People who were sick were encouraged to quarantine but that's very difficult to enforce.

2) The Covid-19 virus is a cousin of the common cold viruses. As with the common cold, you might be most contagious prior to showing symptoms.

3) I wrote about "letting the economy going". It's not as simple as governor's saying "open up". Consumers need to feel safe. In a lot of places where businesses have opened up, consumers are staying home.

4) If 150,000 Americans is a nothing burger, how large a number does it need to be in your opinion. To warrant a quarantine?

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

Edmonton had passed mandatory masks on transit and in city buildings for Aug 1st. They've now matched Calgary for masks in ALL indoor places where public are - supermarkets, retail, malls, etc. It starts Saturday.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

I think there is more than an either-or argument involved in this. It's not just a question of whether COVID-19 is a significant mortality or closer to background like any given year's flu. It is also a separate question, what is COVID-19 and how is it operating in the human body? Did it really happen spontaneously as a sort of bad act of nature, or did researchers help it along? How many different startup modes are there, between random transfer from the natural environment to the first unlucky victim, to an all-out lab-produced toxin? I would submit there are a number of stages between those extremes, one of which is our actual starting scenario. For example, there could be lab development without a clear and stated intent to use the result, but somebody got sloppy, careless, or perhaps a political actor got into the workplace and took off with the virus for political purposes.

How effective it is at producing mortality is not directly related to moral or legal culpability. Let's say it's only 10% as bad as the designers expected, their legal burden is defined by what they intended more than what they achieved (the shot to kill that only wounds is still attempted murder).

I would like to believe what I hear about the situation in the U.S., but then if things are that bad, how is it that the PGA tour started up and travelled all over the place and seems to have very little illness and only a few infections? Pure luck, or cultural differences? Maybe this is causing a higher mortality in groups who were not pre-COVID practising very good hygiene and their rate of change was too slow to keep the situation under control among them.

Those small margins in retail and restaurants are partly a function of number of employees. I've noticed local businesses seeming to survive and adapt but with smaller numbers working. They serve fewer patrons but in the same way as before the shutdown. Maybe the owners are not making much after paying the staff. Eventually that will lead to closures even if they can handle the reduced income, entrepreneurial types don't want to work for nothing for very long.

Anyway, this is entirely unnatural and political elites will find that their theories will only go for a certain time or distance before being chopped up in the inevitable machine of social history. It reminds me of prohibition, something that was thought to have great benefits, but ended up producing worse unintended consequences (such as organized crime) than its proponents expected.

There is also the unsettling similarity of the lockdown to earlier stated objectives of the radical green movement. They got their wish but it may backfire on them too, as people see that closing the economy is not preventing very hot weather, in fact this recent month has been warmest on record in some places.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

PeterODonnell wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:56 am
I think there is more than an either-or argument involved in this. It's not just a question of whether COVID-19 is a significant mortality or closer to background like any given year's flu. It is also a separate question, what is COVID-19 and how is it operating in the human body? Did it really happen spontaneously as a sort of bad act of nature, or did researchers help it along? How many different startup modes are there, between random transfer from the natural environment to the first unlucky victim, to an all-out lab-produced toxin? I would submit there are a number of stages between those extremes, one of which is our actual starting scenario. For example, there could be lab development without a clear and stated intent to use the result, but somebody got sloppy, careless, or perhaps a political actor got into the workplace and took off with the virus for political purposes.

How effective it is at producing mortality is not directly related to moral or legal culpability. Let's say it's only 10% as bad as the designers expected, their legal burden is defined by what they intended more than what they achieved (the shot to kill that only wounds is still attempted murder).

I would like to believe what I hear about the situation in the U.S., but then if things are that bad, how is it that the PGA tour started up and travelled all over the place and seems to have very little illness and only a few infections? Pure luck, or cultural differences? Maybe this is causing a higher mortality in groups who were not pre-COVID practising very good hygiene and their rate of change was too slow to keep the situation under control among them.

Those small margins in retail and restaurants are partly a function of number of employees. I've noticed local businesses seeming to survive and adapt but with smaller numbers working. They serve fewer patrons but in the same way as before the shutdown. Maybe the owners are not making much after paying the staff. Eventually that will lead to closures even if they can handle the reduced income, entrepreneurial types don't want to work for nothing for very long.

Anyway, this is entirely unnatural and political elites will find that their theories will only go for a certain time or distance before being chopped up in the inevitable machine of social history. It reminds me of prohibition, something that was thought to have great benefits, but ended up producing worse unintended consequences (such as organized crime) than its proponents expected.

There is also the unsettling similarity of the lockdown to earlier stated objectives of the radical green movement. They got their wish but it may backfire on them too, as people see that closing the economy is not preventing very hot weather, in fact this recent month has been warmest on record in some places.
I can't convincingly speak to the theories that the virus is partly or entirely man-made. On that question, we are each limited to third or fourth hand information at best. The original case for the theory was that there was a lab in Wuhan that studied coronaviruses, but that's not a great case. Coronaviruses are extremely common, and many large cities have labs that studied them. What they have acknowledged is that a few years ago, I think in 2013, they found a virus that turns out to be very similar to Covid-19, but they did not find it interesting and got rid of it. Based on its genes, it diverges from Covid-19 between 20 and 70 years ago. However, they were more interested in studying SARS-CoV-1 at the time, which is a more distant relative.

Let's say the head of that lab is telling the truth -- they did nothing wrong. But let's say that there was one bitter loser in that lab who took a sample home. What then? We'll never know. I don't know how we could prove this.

I do have a lot of anger with the medical research establishment, it seems that many garbage studies are being published, most famously in the case of hydroxychloroquine. These are some embarrassingly bad studies. The original study advocating for HCQ has been dismissed. But one of the largest studies advocating against it turned out to be fraudulent. IMO, those people should go to jail, and get the Andrew Wakefield treatment.

My best guess for the PGA tour is that it's predominantly some healthy people getting a lot of vitamin D3 in large, open, outdoor spaces. The PGA can also afford frequent testing of its players, and thus isolate players as soon as they get sick. With the kinds of resources that they have, they can test very aggressively, and with that much testing and with isolation of the infected, they can keep R0 to very low numbers:
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/29 ... mon-injury

The anecdotes about post-covid syndrome or longcovid are awful, but I'll wait until more data comes in. Historically, medical science has had a hard time dealing with persistent illnesses, for example each of gulf war syndrome, post-finasteride syndrome, post-SSRI syndrome, lyme disease, leaky gut syndrome each took a long time to be adequately recognized. Some people also get long-term fluctuations from the flu. At this point I don't know enough information (does anybody?) to make an informed comparison.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/politics ... index.html

Cain ran for President in 2012, he got a lot of press for advocating a "9-9-9" tax plan. He may have caught coronavirus at the crowded Tulsa rally, which he and many others attended without a mask.

He was 74 years old, and has two children.

RIP.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

There's a lot more to it than just a lab in Wuhan, it was widely reported even in the Canadian media that Chinese scientists were booted out of Canada for various illegal actions taken while working on similar projects at our Winnipeg labs a few years ago (2017 IIRC). Reading between the lines it is possible that the technology was stolen and taken to China for their later use. And this may be their "later use."

People tend to dismiss statements made by officials of hostile regimes vowing destruction of our countries and our way of life as rhetoric or bluster, but the same thing happened with Hitler, many just thought he was pandering to a nationalist sentiment in Germany and didn't really intend to do the harm he kept promising to do. We also have the relatively recent experience of co-existing with the hostile USSR who made many threats and never carried out on them directly, but history shows that they made many inroads into our society through sympathetic and in some cases planted agents working to stir up unrest and trouble here. Some of it worked rather well.

I think it's entirely possible China took an active role in this awful event and may have taken steps to worsen the situation before our intel agencies caught on and no doubt have been watching them closely, but they do have thousands of potential agents here, party sympathizers who are in our schools and some workplaces too. And they have bought off large chunks of the political establishment and media.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

PeterODonnell wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:17 am
There's a lot more to it than just a lab in Wuhan, it was widely reported even in the Canadian media that Chinese scientists were booted out of Canada for various illegal actions taken while working on similar projects at our Winnipeg labs a few years ago (2017 IIRC). Reading between the lines it is possible that the technology was stolen and taken to China for their later use. And this may be their "later use."

People tend to dismiss statements made by officials of hostile regimes vowing destruction of our countries and our way of life as rhetoric or bluster, but the same thing happened with Hitler, many just thought he was pandering to a nationalist sentiment in Germany and didn't really intend to do the harm he kept promising to do. We also have the relatively recent experience of co-existing with the hostile USSR who made many threats and never carried out on them directly, but history shows that they made many inroads into our society through sympathetic and in some cases planted agents working to stir up unrest and trouble here. Some of it worked rather well.

I think it's entirely possible China took an active role in this awful event and may have taken steps to worsen the situation before our intel agencies caught on and no doubt have been watching them closely, but they do have thousands of potential agents here, party sympathizers who are in our schools and some workplaces too. And they have bought off large chunks of the political establishment and media.
I have no doubt that China is a hostile superpower. I'll add that they're actually in a stronger relative position than the USSR was, perhaps closer to that of Nazi Germany / Japan, in that they are an adversary of comparable strength, and they can actually win a Cold War against the USA. The USSR, in contrast, was always the substantially weaker party. China has a large, nationalistic, and hardworking population, a rich cultural heritage, more effective leadership, and in many ways a stronger geographic location than the USA.

There is no doubt that they are effectively incorporating a lot of Western intellectual property, and for this I must also blame the West. It should not be so easy to steal intellectual property ... could we steal Ford's car models if you wanted to? No, we wouldn't know what to do with it even if we had all of the blueprints. But Western educational standards have lagged, and western ingenuity have lagged, as we have collectively been more focused on consuming resources and accumulating trinkets rather than building on our rich legacy of art, literature, architecture, engineering, and science.

The Medici family funded Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci, who are Jeff Bezos, Steven Schwartzman, and Peter Thiel funding? I don't know, but they certainly buy themselves nice suits and nice yachts.

US universities are also taking in and training graduate students from various Asian countries. The short-term argument to do so is impeccable: On average, they work harder, more diligently, and more conscientiously than American students, whether White or Black. The long-term argument? You can fill in the blanks.

Can you post a couple links describing and summarizing what these 2017 expulsions were about?

Lastly, if you believe that the coronavirus is a bioweapon engineered by an advanced economic and scientific power, does it then not make sense to treat it seriously, and follow simple precautionary measures such as reducing international flights and wearing masks?

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

DA_Champion wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:46 pm
Duke Atriedes wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:27 pm

1) People who were sick were encouraged to quarantine but that's very difficult to enforce.

2) The Covid-19 virus is a cousin of the common cold viruses. As with the common cold, you might be most contagious prior to showing symptoms.

3) I wrote about "letting the economy going". It's not as simple as governor's saying "open up". Consumers need to feel safe. In a lot of places where businesses have opened up, consumers are staying home.

4) If 150,000 Americans is a nothing burger, how large a number does it need to be in your opinion. To warrant a quarantine?
About 2 million I think would be something to be concerned about. Frankly I have seen 4 people die in my life during COVID 19. One from heart attack and three from drug overdose. For myself and my health, I get much more fearful if I miss taking my cholesterol medicine than I worry about COVID.

Anyhow I will concede that what we are now seeing in Florida indicates the shut down might have been effective. Although I hear if you have motor cycle accident and are positive for COVID they will count your death as COVID. And I won't concede that shutting down the economy should be done even if it is effective.

Duke Atriedes

Post by Duke Atriedes »

DA_Champion wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:05 am
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/politics ... index.html

Cain ran for President in 2012, he got a lot of press for advocating a "9-9-9" tax plan. He may have caught coronavirus at the crowded Tulsa rally, which he and many others attended without a mask.

He was 74 years old, and has two children.

RIP.
One conservative dies of COVID and the left takes it and runs with it.

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Duke Atriedes wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:42 pm
One conservative dies of COVID and the left takes it and runs with it.
Indeed, some of the eulogies are less respectful than others.
Duke Atriedes wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:41 pm
About 2 million I think would be something to be concerned about. Frankly I have seen 4 people die in my life during COVID 19. One from heart attack and three from drug overdose. For myself and my health, I get much more fearful if I miss taking my cholesterol medicine than I worry about COVID.

Anyhow I will concede that what we are now seeing in Florida indicates the shut down might have been effective. Although I hear if you have motor cycle accident and are positive for COVID they will count your death as COVID. And I won't concede that shutting down the economy should be done even if it is effective.
The economy gets shutdown regardless if the infection rate gets high enough. People are afraid to go to work and to go to many service sector locations such as restaurants, gyms, bookstores, etc. Due to the virus being very contagious, if one staff member gets sick you might have half the staff members get sick (e.g. Florida Marlins), and then a random selection of businesses will be shut down.

I go to a yoga studio, which helps me with my lower back pain. They've re-opened after a couple months of closure. They now have the windows open, fans on, air purifiers, everybody has to wear masks, no touching rules, physical distancing rules, free hand sanitizers, etc. Is this an example of the economy re-opening? No, because customers are scared to come. The classes that I've been to have had between 1 and 4 clients, whereas usually I see 12 to 18 clients. This is clearly not economically viable, and I expect them to close again at any time. Now repeat this for large sections of the economy.

By the way, this is what happened in Israel after they re-opened schools:
The kids are mostly fine I think, but what happens when all those parents call in sick? Will the same happen here? I don't know. The northeast school teachers that I know will be teaching via zoom. The Florida teacher that I know has told me that he is expected to teach in person.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

I'll be that guy and ask, how do we know that many of these self-reporting COVID cases aren't just seasonal allergies or other minor afflictions that liberals are thinking would be useful to report as COVID to inflame the political situation?

I say that because the mind set of "you must wear a mask to be politically correct" sets up very nicely for "you must call anything remotely verifiable COVID to up the ante."

Israel is a fairly liberal state.

Another possible angle to investigate is whether or not enemies of the remaining core of "western civ" have targeted both the US and Israel with mobile spreaders. With this phenomenon, it's not just the health of the nation(s) that is significant, it is a numbers game. People are in near panic mode hearing the numbers, some of the things being said and done in BC relative to U.S. and Alberta residents is borderline mass delusional and certainly reveals how thinly hidden away these regional and international tensions and rivalries are at the best of times (which was then, this is now).

I am trying to remain rational. The fact that a few extra cases are being reported (but death rates are not really changing that much) speaks possibly to auto-suggestion and mass hysteria as possible factors. I sneezed a few times the other day, this is not unusual for me as I have various minor allergies, but if I were a hypochondriac I would probably be pacing the halls of some local clinic or hospital where of course I would be much more at risk of contracting the thing too.

Also part of me is probably (inevitably) moving my gaze towards the relevant Biblical passages and the eerie similarity this now has to the prophesied end times. Mass delusion was clearly stated to be a large part of that scenario. Globalism and China in particular are clearly Satanic in their orientation. You do the math (it adds up to 666).

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

PeterODonnell wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:46 pm
I'll be that guy and ask, how do we know that many of these self-reporting COVID cases aren't just seasonal allergies or other minor afflictions that liberals are thinking would be useful to report as COVID to inflame the political situation?

I say that because the mind set of "you must wear a mask to be politically correct" sets up very nicely for "you must call anything remotely verifiable COVID to up the ante."

Israel is a fairly liberal state.

Another possible angle to investigate is whether or not enemies of the remaining core of "western civ" have targeted both the US and Israel with mobile spreaders. With this phenomenon, it's not just the health of the nation(s) that is significant, it is a numbers game. People are in near panic mode hearing the numbers, some of the things being said and done in BC relative to U.S. and Alberta residents is borderline mass delusional and certainly reveals how thinly hidden away these regional and international tensions and rivalries are at the best of times (which was then, this is now).

I am trying to remain rational. The fact that a few extra cases are being reported (but death rates are not really changing that much) speaks possibly to auto-suggestion and mass hysteria as possible factors. I sneezed a few times the other day, this is not unusual for me as I have various minor allergies, but if I were a hypochondriac I would probably be pacing the halls of some local clinic or hospital where of course I would be much more at risk of contracting the thing too.

Also part of me is probably (inevitably) moving my gaze towards the relevant Biblical passages and the eerie similarity this now has to the prophesied end times. Mass delusion was clearly stated to be a large part of that scenario. Globalism and China in particular are clearly Satanic in their orientation. You do the math (it adds up to 666).
Why wouldn't these foreign agents target Alberta and BC :-) ?

I agree about the mass hysteria, which precedes Covid. Many of my Liberal friends dismiss covid skepticism as being due to conservatives being dumb, wanting to own the libs, thinking they're protected by God, etc. I'm sure that there are a few such people, and videos of some of them go viral on twitter when they're caught, mostly above is just run-of-the-mill American white liberal self-righteous narcissism.

The more relevant cause is that the authorities no longer have the credibility necessary to mobilize the population. We have been lied to so many times over the past few decades, that we now each have a hard time gauging when the government is telling the truth and when it is lying. I'm confident in assuming that covid skepticism would be a rarer and smaller thing, and people would be a lot more compliant with the suggestions to socially distant and to wear masks, if we had the privilege of living in a high-trust society. The western governments, intelligentsia, elites etc have authority, they have power, but they do not have credibility.

By the way, the discrepancy between increasing case reports and decreasing death rates has been widely discussed. Part of that is the US has become more efficient at testing, we're not necessarily seeing more cases, we're seeing more reported cases. Tests are now cheaper, more widely available, and more rapidly evaluated. In the span of just a few months, the US has gone from being a backwards country on testing to arguably being the world leader.

The other issue is that deaths lag cases. A few months ago, New York, New Jersey, and Maryland were the epicenters of Covid in the USA, but that has begun to move to Florida, Texas, Arizona, and Georgia. We're seeing deaths gradually die down (unintentional awful pun) in the former epicenters, and gradually increase in the new epicenters. Indeed, the national transition point was around the first week of July, and now deaths are increasing again, they are now approximately twice as high they were a month ago.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

[quote=PeterODonnell post_id=2322 time=1596300413 user_id=49

[/quote]

We HAVE to examine what is unfolding around us from a supernatural perspective. That is the start and end point. Seeing through the eyes of Faith and Reason provides a clear picture of the diabolical events that are unfolding. The, as in the definitive article, AntiChrist may or may not be here already, but there are plenty of little antichrists running amok. Demonic oppression and possession is on the rise and I have no doubt whatsoever there are folk who are perfectly possessed.

We need to shore up our spiritual and material defenses. Apart from maybe Toronto, we in parts of Canada are not yet to subject to what is happening in parts of American. It may come to pass here.

Kyrie eleison
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

Yes, it would be great if Revelations was written without code, as in "around the end of 2019, a man who was identified to me as "the Beast" collaborated with others to unleash a disease that, while deadly to some, was more of a problem for most people when their liberties were gradually taken away, and replaced by the authoritarian control of those who believed what "the Beast" believed, and wanted to share in his power."

And so, if not now, then something relatively similar in the future. I don't feel like there are big holes in my analogy, but I do realize that with the coding of Revelations, nothing can be proven before the fact (the second coming) and it's just an aid to the faithful to be especially vigilant and wary. And interestingly, it is mostly those people (the faithful) who seem most ill at ease with the response of our society to what is obviously a health risk but not so obviously a mortal blow that we must fight off with draconian measures including the shutdown of our society and its economic vitality.

As some know, I've been studying these things rather intensively for a while, and have always felt that the timetable is well advanced, and probably more advanced than some literalists might accept, because I don't think some of the prophecies will be literally fulfilled, I think they will be figuratively fulfilled, and that gives an extra level of coding or uncertainty to the prophecies. For example, I don't imagine that there will actually be a time when people will have to have a mark on their forehead (but how about a mask for their head?) to do business or function in the Beast's social order. I think the mystery number 666 will be understandable after the fact more than in advance, like "Vote for Jones, he drove Route 666 before they changed its number." It won't be that out in the open.

Many think the mystery number refers to combinations of letters either in the accepted Latin form system or some system applied to English (although why English, Spanish or Chinese are spoken by as many people nowadays?). It could be some other detail that equates to 666, and that number itself could be meant to signify three sixes or six hundred and sixty-six (I've read some commentary that claims a translation error means that the mystery number is actually 616).

You would have to imagine that in the year 666 A.D. there were those looking around for the signs too. And probably in the year 1666 (in fact more so with the Protestant reformation then underway, encouraging people to read their Bibles).

At the end of the day, it's only "really" the end times if Jesus is actually preparing to return, or should I say, if God the Father in heaven is preparing to allow that to take place. And so as He said in His first advent, nobody can know of the times, except for the Father in heaven. Will it become obvious just before the fact, or will it just spring on us all out of the blue?

Don't know, suspect a few may have a "heads up" to get ready for specific tasks, but the part that leaves me most uncertain is -- will the Kingdom then be manifested on the earth, or will the faithful be removed and transported to the other location for the Kingdom, leaving the remaining inhabitants of earth with their chosen leader and their fate whatever evolves out of any struggle between that leader and God? Either way, we could be headed for the Kingdom at any point in time. We know that we are only there in the spirit now.

Ursus

Post by Ursus »

We obviously do not know all the where’s and whens concerning the End Times for only our Father in Heaven knows that. Take comfort in the knowledge and grace that Christ has overthrown the Kingdom of Satan. The infernal powers though have definitely ramped up their game this year,if I may use such a pithy metaphor for such grave matters.
Fear not those who can destroy the body, but those who can kill your soul.
As I read and pray the Roman Martyrology each day, I plead that I will be granted the grace and the guts that the early Christians had during the various early persecutions.

Pray, read good books, meditate on the truth we are will return to the dust for a time.....,and drink plenty of root beer and get in serious range time if you can! :D :D :D
Quia non est alius
Qui pugnet pro nobis
Nisi tu Deus noster.