Peter MacKay launches his campaign promising to unify and expand Conservative Party

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Peter MacKay launches his campaign promising to unify and expand Conservative Party

Post by Connie Fournier »

OTTAWA — Peter MacKay officially launched his leadership campaign on Saturday with a speech that emphasized his experience on the world stage, and promised to unify and expand the Conservative Party ahead of the next election.

“Together we’ll expand outward that big blue tent, while strengthening its solid poles of conservative principle,” he said in a speech in Stellarton, Nova Scotia, the area which he represented in Parliament from 1997 to 2015.

“I stand here before you today with my heart on my sleeve for every Canadian, whoever you love, wherever you live,” he said.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... tive-party

So, do you think MacKay can unify the CPC? Can someone who is such a Red Tory keep social conservatives, libertarians and populists in the same tent? I have my doubts.

We have all "worked within the party" for years, hoping to have a seat at the table to share our diverse views, but we have been shut out more and more. Now it looks like the CPC is going full-on Brian Mulroney PC. If Peter MacKay wins the leadership election, what will you do?
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

WestViking

Re: Peter MacKay launches his campaign promising to unify and expand Conservative Party

Post by WestViking »

MacKay is pure poison and will split the party. Remember his 'deal' with David Orchard to avoid merging with the Alliance? And his dalliance with Belinda Stronach? And his use of a Coast Guard helicopter for a fishing trip? MacKay is architect and guardian over the 100 points per EDA system that mutes the voices of strong conservative EDAs. His support is from the Atlantic provinces with 6.5% of the provincial population and Quebec, while the western provinces make up 32% of the population. The point system is designed to mute the voice of the west.

Dacre

Re: Peter MacKay launches his campaign promising to unify and expand Conservative Party

Post by Dacre »

If he's in I'm out. I'm beyond tired of this same old game. He obviously doesn't like the "Albatross" factor and I don't like Red Tories. I guess that makes us even. I agree WV, he's poison. But I think that's what the "smart People" want. We all know what that gets us.

conservativegal

Post by conservativegal »

I'm another one of many who will desert this party if Mackay leads it.

What happened to leaders who actually stood for something instead of toeing the party line to appease the opposition?

PeterODonnell

Post by PeterODonnell »

He has some political strengths, undeniably, but they don't do much for me either. I think for every disaffected Liberal he brings into the big tent, two other members will slip out the back door and join the PPC.

I have an image of him being like a bat in a dark cave for the past five years, one day he woke up, fell to the cave floor and cried out, "Stinking Albatross."

So now that social conservatives have a pretty accurate idea where they stand in the big tent (knee deep in manure), I foresee that Max will focus a little more on their concerns because in the past, he too has been known as rather socially liberal (other than on immigration perhaps). It could end up that the PPC will wither away now and a different alternative more in tune with social conservatism generally will emerge. In today's Canada, that can be little more than a protest party that might make a decent run at half a dozen seats in rural Ontario and Alberta.

The only good thing I can say about Peter Mackay is that he seems like a pleasant personality so if we are going to be lectured by morons, at least it won't be objectionable morons.