Facebook will let employees work from home permanently but it comes with a catch

Mark Fournier

Facebook will let employees work from home permanently but it comes with a catch

Post by Mark Fournier »

SAN FRANCISCO -- With Facebook's adoption of permanent remote work on Thursday, Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg has untethered one of Silicon Valley's biggest companies from the place that incubated it. Read More

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/NP_Top_S ... th-a-catch

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Re: Facebook will let employees work from home permanently but it comes with a catch

Post by Connie Fournier »

Quite the catch, too. You get a pay cut if you leave the Bay Area, and you have to let them spy on you.
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

DA_Champion

Re: Facebook will let employees work from home permanently but it comes with a catch

Post by DA_Champion »

Connie Fournier wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:06 pm Quite the catch, too. You get a pay cut if you leave the Bay Area
Are you sure about that comment?

:p
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA. Disaffected progressive, here for interesting conversations.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

DA_Champion wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:16 pm
Connie Fournier wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:06 pm Quite the catch, too. You get a pay cut if you leave the Bay Area
Are you sure about that comment?

:p
Did I read it wrong? I thought it said that your pay would be adjusted to the cost of living wherever you are. Meaning most people who left the Bay Area would get a pay cut?
To find ALL of our Recent Topics, Click Here, or look under Quick links at the top of the page!

DA_Champion

Post by DA_Champion »

Connie Fournier wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:38 pm
Did I read it wrong? I thought it said that your pay would be adjusted to the cost of living wherever you are. Meaning most people who left the Bay Area would get a pay cut?
Sorry, that might not have been clear. I was poking fun at San Francisco.

It used to be considered one of America's cultural capitals, but now it's lost a lot of its caché due to the techbros having raised the cost of living to stratospheric levels, and thus pushing out a lot of other people.
Canadian expatriate living and working in the USA. Disaffected progressive, here for interesting conversations.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Yes, you are right! Sorry I was slow on the uptake! :-)

Free Markets

Post by Free Markets »

Everyone seems to have a prediction about the possibility of a chunk of jobs moving permanently to home: reduction in commuting and consequent fall in demand for mass transit and cars, a residential shift from the downtown core to the cheaper burbs cutting city tax revenues and property values, and so on. Here is my prediction.

For some of the stay at home jobs, the employer will notice that it doesn't matter if the employee lives ten blocks away or in Mumbai. Those stay at homers will have to compete internationally for their jobs and in most cases end up on the losing end.

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

I have been working remotely for four years. I would hate to go back to an office now.

Duane Berke

Post by Duane Berke »

I walked from the office over 5 years ago. Advertising, design and copywriting. I write ad copy freelance when I feel like it for the right client and have my little gig at Sobeys to cure boredom but I don't really care anymore. I recognize my age and how it may differ from younger folks and the current mainstream. I'm certainly not the target model and I don't care. I'll continue to ride my motorcycle and have a blast at the store with my college girl age colleagues who are all a hoot.

I could have worked from home the last 15 years in the computer age but nobody thought or it, or trusted it.
"When you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before." - Vince Lombardi

Jean

Post by Jean »

I love working from home. I'm made for this! It shows in the quality of my work. Receiving praise from my colleaues feels good, I have to admit B-)

I don't think we'll be WFH forever but this will last a while longer. Our offices will re-open at 40-50% capacity at a yet to be determined date. I'll definitively volunteer to leave my spot to someone else if needs be :)

intrepi

Post by intrepi »

There are more expensive cities than SF, do they get a salary increase if they move to one of them?
Yeshua is near

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

Jean wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:39 pm I love working from home. I'm made for this! It shows in the quality of my work. Receiving praise from my colleaues feels good, I have to admit B-)

I don't think we'll be WFH forever but this will last a while longer. Our offices will re-open at 40-50% capacity at a yet to be determined date. I'll definitively volunteer to leave my spot to someone else if needs be :)
It makes a lot of sense for employers to have people work from home. If they don't need to provide office space and a desk for someone, why pay for it?

Connie Fournier
Site Admin

intrepi wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:29 am There are more expensive cities than SF, do they get a salary increase if they move to one of them?
That thought occurred to me, too.